Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Which of these models would you buy?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • T/C Impact

3 37.50%
  • Traditions Buckstalker

1 12.50%
  • CVA Wolf

1 12.50%
  • Something Else?

3 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Entry level in-line muzzleloader for deer hunting

Hey guys. I'm in the market for an entry-level muzzleloader for deer hunting.

It's been several years since I hunted deer. I've been mostly hunting rabbit and squirrel, but recently I've been itching to get back into big game. I no longer have a deer rifle, and I've decided to get a muzzleloader, both for the challenge and for the extra time to hunt.

However, the last time I used a muzzleloader was at least 15 years ago. Things have changed. The market is dominated by inlines, which I have only recently become familiar with, thanks to Google and Youtube lol. Previously, the only muzzleloaders I've fired have been sidelock percussion and flintlocks. I'm very intrigued by the modern break barrel inlines, and plan on getting an entry-level one to see if I like the platform without breaking the bank. I've narrowed it down to three models, but am leaning more toward two of them. The three guns I'm considering are:

Traditions Buckstalker
    Thompson Center (T/C) Impact
    CVA Wolf

And I am leaning more toward the Buckstalker or the T/C Impact. As these are all fairly inexpensive models, their trivial price differences aren't much of a concern to me. I'd like some feedback from anyone who's owned or fired one of these guns, what you liked and disliked about them, recommendations, concerns, etc. Would love it if someone has fired more than one and can offer firsthand comparisons. I'm also open to other suggestions if anyone has any... break-barrel models under $350, preferably.

I don't intend to make any shots beyond 150 yards with it, which (as I understand) is well within the effective range of a .50 smokepole.

I appreciate any input you may have!
    Last edited by TheAlchemist; June 5th, 2020 at 01:07 PM.

Default Re: Entry level in-line muzzleloader for deer hunting

I purchased a basic CVA optima with scope mount (no scope) like this one:
    713075171.gif
    for something like $250 or less. I already had a scope for it, but even a $100 scope is likely better than whatever they're tossing on it.
    Has a great trigger, easy shooter. Killed numerous deer with it.
    Have yet to see a need for anything else.

(Lancaster County)

Flintlock gets you extra days after Christmas

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-Jan. 18, 2021. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license or permit.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (WMUs 2B, 5C, 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 23, 2021. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license or permit.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by lager1829 View Post
    Flintlock gets you extra days after Christmas

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-Jan. 18, 2021. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license or permit.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (WMUs 2B, 5C, 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 23, 2021. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license or permit.
    I am with this guy, go with a tradtional rifle. If you must inline, used ones can be had cheap if you time it right...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Monroe County)

Yeah, I'm aware that flintlock adds even more time. But call me newfangled, I'm just not not a fan of shooting them in general lol. I like the mechanism, I think they are beautiful guns, and I'd enjoy shooting them at the range for the "cool" factor, but for hunting, I'm just not ready to make that jump yet. Especially for hunting, I'm really not a fan of the idea of having a cap (or a primer pan) exposed to the air and vulnerable to to moisture.

Mostly, I simply what to delve into inlines because it's a new platform to me. I like the concept of using the 209 primers, and my goal isn't to be like a traditional mountain man. If that were the case, I'd get a nice Kentucky or Pennsylvania.

(Wayne County)

I bought a Traditions Buckstalker several years ago, directly from the factory for $125. I absolutely LOVE it! Well made, well fitted, accurate right out of the box. I bought the stainless with camo stocks and it is auite an attractive rifle. The fiber optic sights are AWESOME in low light conditions like dusk/dawn, rain, and hem!ock swamps. Easy to load. Easy to clean. Personally, I think it is tue most attractive design out of almost all of the inlines. If you have used any H&R/New England Firearms shotguns, the fit and feel and operatiin of the Buckstalker is almost identical.

I was looking at their website yesterday. They had two black Buckstalker packages, with scopes, for around $200. Hell of a deal!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lackawanna County)

I have been shooting muzzleloader with a T/C Impact for about 7 years, I ordered a scoped combo package from Cabela's website and it's been a really great rifle. It's built strong, composite stock has an integrated rubber butt pad, breech plug is easily removed and cleaned, and it's been pretty accurate for me. It came with necessary tools and fiber optic sights if you wanted to remove the scope. I've been very pleased with it.

I also have a Traditions flintlock which is a very nicely built rifle but a much higher price point. flintlock is very rewarding but takes a whole nother level of concentration and practice. Worth it though to freeze your butt off in January
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Carbon County)

I bought a Traditions flintlock with wood stock, and after shooting it, bought an identical model with a plastic stock for severe weather hunting. Both are REALLY accurate. I think the barrels are made in Spain. I know Traditions rifles have gone up in the last two years, but for the price they make a good gun.

(Lackawanna County)

I bought an Entry level CVA at Sportsman's Guide. They sell them with a scope as a kit but the scope kinda sux.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...ount?a=1770044

(Wayne County)

I bought a Knight Wolverine, wasn*t real accurate until I used high pressure sabots. 250 grain Barnes X bullet being pushed by 100 grains of Pyrodex. Deer and black bear don*t go far!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast