Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Fl Supreme Court Nixes "Assualt Weapons" Ballot Ban

The Florida Supreme Court shot down a ballot initiative to ban so-called "assault weapons". As reported in Townhall:

"The Florida Supreme Court ruled Thursday that a proposed constitutional amendment seeking to ban possession of assault-style weapons does not meet requirements to go before voters".

"The Supreme Court plays a key role in the ballot-initiative process. It reviews initiatives to determine whether ballot titles and summaries — the wording that voters would see at polling places — meet legal requirements. It does not decide on the merits of the initiatives".

"Thursday’s 4-1 decision focused on part of the ballot summary that said the initiative “exempts and requires registration of assault weapons lawfully possessed prior to this provision’s effective date.”

"The court majority, made up of Chief Justice Charles Canady and justices Ricky Polston, Alan Lawson and Carlos Muniz, said that provision “affirmatively misleads voters regarding the exemption” because of a contradiction with the broader text of the proposed constitutional amendment".

A win for the good guys.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

Default Re: Fl Supreme Court Nixes "Assualt Weapons" Ballot Ban

I'm definitely paying attention to this. Won't be going back to PA, but there are several other states that so far remain 2A friendly.
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by PAcarrier View Post
    I'm definitely paying attention to this. Won't be going back to PA, but there are several other states that so far remain 2A friendly.
    Florida is pretty decent. We have been there almost 7 years now, having moved from Chambersburg. Work was easy for me to find as I am a truck driver. No tax on your income and if you buy a house and make it your homestead you get a reduction on property taxes. We live in a Park Model trailer in a senior park (we are in our 60's) and taxes went to $340.00 from the original $760.00. Property or homes out by themselves are pricewise reasonable, if you stay away from the water that is. We live in Zephyrhills about 40 minutes north of Tampa.

Gun ownership is highly respected and if anything ever happens the laws back up the citizen. I got stopped in the big rig one day for an inspection and I told the trooper I was carrying and attempted to hand him my carry permit. He didn't even look at it, he just asked me where the weapon was and I said in the sleeper and that was that.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

I get it and so far we've found the same. Problem is the state is purple, so I just watch the direction of the wind at this point. Too many "New Something" front plates riding around here at any point.

A friend of mine lives in your town. Nice area.
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

(Delaware County)

This matter is far from over. The FL supreme court simply ruled that the wording of the initiative was too vague. Their court did not rule against the idea of the referendum due to being contrary to the state constitution.

The wording will no doubt be changed to satisfy the court and such will be on the ballot in 2022.

There are more carry permit holders in fl than any other state. There is no reason this referendum should pass. If it does, blame the gun owners not showing up on election day.