Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crossbreed holsters option questions.

I am thinking about getting a new holster for my p365. Looking at crossbreed and have a couple of questions about options they offer.

1. They offer standard clips, j clips for additional money or v clips for additional money. Are the J or V clips worth it?

2. They offer standard cut vs. combat cut for more money. Any advantage to the combat cut?

Thank you,

Troll

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Crossbreed holsters option questions.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I am thinking about getting a new holster for my p365. Looking at crossbreed and have a couple of questions about options they offer.

1. They offer standard clips, j clips for additional money or v clips for additional money. Are the J or V clips worth it?

2. They offer standard cut vs. combat cut for more money. Any advantage to the combat cut?

Thank you,

Troll
    I haven't used the J or V clips, so I can't say if there is an advantage, but as long as the standard clips are steel, they work well. Early versions used plastic clips, but they could break at the sharp bend from over-flexing, and I don't think Crossbreed uses plastic anymore.
    I bought a standard cut for a CZ-75, and after a time I decided to give it a combat cut treatment. I wish I hadn't. The grip, beavertail, and hammer now rub and poke into my side, which gets irritating after a while. I recommend the standard cut.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Chester County)

They*re good holsters, but I actually find all kydex to be more comfortable.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    They*re good holsters, but I actually find all kydex to be more comfortable.
    Inconthievable!
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Allegheny County)

1. I like the standard clips, so no to the J or V clips for me.

2. I prefer the Combat Cut, it allows for a more positive grip while the gun is in the holster.

Good luck on your choice.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Chester County)

If you do get a crossbreed holster, I recommend founders series leather. It is more comfortable than horsehide but is just as good at keep moisture away from your gun.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Bucks County)

I wear mine and like the holsters.

Super tuck, no combat cut with horse hide. Regular hooks.

I am a big guy and find these comfortable

Many years ago, I tried a Crossbreed supertuck with horsehide and the original clips. Originally ordered with standard (no combat) cut. I don't really have any good things to say about it.

Complaints:

1) Creaking Noise: The horsehide and metal clips creaked and squeaked with every body movement. I was assured it would go away with break in, but after 6 months of wear, it was still just as loud as the day I bought it. I tried "conditioning" the leather near the clips, but still the squeaking continued. It was very noticeable--even to other people! Cowhide may be better, but I haven't tried it.

2) Standard clips: The standard metal spring clips made lots of noise if you bump something into them. It sounds like a band of gypsies playing castanets. They also aren't particularly stealthy if you plan to tuck in your shirt. Hard pass.

3) Purchase on gun during draw w/o combat cut: Without the cut, I found it nearly impossible to get my hand between the leather holster backer and my gun to be able to get a full grip. After a few months of fighting it, I did a home combat cut job with a box cutter (and belt sander to polish) which improved things dramatically. If you do decide to get this holster and you are concerned about abrasion, I'd get it without the combat cut and do it yourself. It wasn't hard and you can remove as little as necessary to get a firm grip.

4) Retention: Sucks/non-existent. Not adjustable without a blow dryer/heat gun. The looseness could allow for a quick draw, but I felt it wasn't tight enough to keep from bouncing if I was active at all. Also, be careful if you carry a gun with a longer barrel in a holster made for a shorter model, (i.e. G19 in a G17 holster) since I found I could dislodge the gun from the holster while sitting since there was no meaningful retention to speak of.

5) Width of stiff area: Kydex surface area on mine is wider than other similar holsters which prevents the holster body from conforming well to my body (except for the very edges where it was just leather). This also prevents the gun from being retained well by the flex in the leather backer. (Images of current models appear to be slightly narrower than mine--perhaps there was a generational change along the way.)

Deal breaker: For me, this holster just never felt "natural" on my hip. The lack of retention and the stiffness/non-conforming fit made me feel more paranoid about how well I was concealing. Consequently, my body language probably looked more suspicious which is perhaps the easiest way to get made while concealing. It sits in a drawer now. YMMV.

After 6 months of hating the Crossbreed, I switched to the Comp-Tac MTAC with c-clips which is a similar style, but a far better holster (in my opinion). https://comp-tac.com/mtac-premier-iw...ster-comp-tac/ I have worn the MTAC for the better part of 6 years and it is still a favorite.

That said, if I were buying today, I would consider the C-TAC or another all-kydex model since I've come to love the faster draw and total sweat resistance.

Good luck!
    I am not a lawyer.

(Chester County)

I purchased a IWB CrossBreed Supertuck non-combat "standard" cut 5-6 years ago. Standard rings. I like it.

I'm @ 5' 9" 150lbs. No weird sounds or other weird stuff protruding into my body as I wear it.

For the record: Not a mall ninja here.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

(Bucks County)

buckengr (2 posts above) pretty much nailed it. Mine sits in a box along with other unused holsters.

OWB I'm exclusively Safariland ALS.

IWB I have a couple, but the only one I use with regularity is a Milt Sparks VMII. Expensive, but perfect.

Pocket carry, I use "Sticky Holsters"
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast