Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Running an AR15 with no buffer retaining pin?

My buffer retaining pin broke today. I'd never previously considered that as a possibility but after a quick search, that apparently happens a lot. DucatiRon has one for me in case I decide to put it back in but for now, I'm going to run the gun without one and see what happens. Does anyone have any experience doing this or have information to contribute? I understand the GWACS lower doesn't even accept a retaining pin so I guess it's not critical to reliable function but is there any downside to it? Breaking the gun open and putting it back together is harder without the retaining pin but otherwise, I wasn't able to find a good reason to be in a hurry to put it back in.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Running an AR15 with no buffer retaining pin?

The GWACS Armory CAV15 lower uses one - if you want.
    It takes a thin pin to hold it in place since there's no normal buffer tube used.
    I installed it in my wife's build and didn't in my x39 build - I just have to remember to be ready to catch the buffer/spring when I open it.

No idea if there's a horrible thing that may happen without it - I doubt it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Clearfield County)

You should be fine running without it, its only there for ease of disassembly.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    My buffer retaining pin broke today. I'd never previously considered that as a possibility but after a quick search, that apparently happens a lot. DucatiRon has one for me in case I decide to put it back in but for now, I'm going to run the gun without one and see what happens. Does anyone have any experience doing this or have information to contribute? I understand the GWACS lower doesn't even accept a retaining pin so I guess it's not critical to reliable function but is there any downside to it? Breaking the gun open and putting it back together is harder without the retaining pin but otherwise, I wasn't able to find a good reason to be in a hurry to put it back in.
    this is the gist of it. All the pin does is hold the spring/buffer in when you open the gun, it has no effect on operation.,
    Last edited by gghbi; June 7th, 2020 at 10:30 AM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Montgomery County)

Some people don't run one to eliminate a failure point. They can bind up your fire control group if they break and get caught in there. Zero impact on operation, just dissembly/reassembly. Drop the hammer before you open the lower and will help catch the spring.

(Carbon County)

I can honestly say I never heard of that. I worked on thousands of M16 / M16A-1 rifles in the military and can not remember ever hearing of that happening. Junk parts they sell now?

(Bucks County)

Question...it sounds like the buffer or the bolt sheared the pin. Does the buffer slam the pin every time the bolt goes into battery, or does the bolt hold the buffer from striking the pin? Should the bolt strike the pin? Seems to me the pin could not hold up to a shear force. I'm thinking either buffer or bolt is travelling too far for some reason.

ETA: Did a little research, and suspicions confirmed. It is an out of spec situation. There is an offset retaining pin available for curing noticed damage to the front of the buffer. Never knew of this possibility. Good post.
    Last edited by Bang; June 13th, 2020 at 10:24 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Question...it sounds like the buffer or the bolt sheared the pin. Does the buffer slam the pin every time the bolt goes into battery, or does the bolt hold the buffer from striking the pin? Should the bolt strike the pin? Seems to me the pin could not hold up to a shear force. I'm thinking either buffer or bolt is travelling too far for some reason.

ETA: Did a little research, and suspicions confirmed. It is an out of spec situation. There is an offset retaining pin available for curing noticed damage to the front of the buffer. Never knew of this possibility. Good post.
    Can you post a link to this product? Never heard of it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Can you post a link to this product? Never heard of it.
    Me either. Took half a second to locate.

https://gallowayprecision.com/offset...r-AR-15-rifles

http://commonbullets.com/wp/archives/1727

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    18$? Ouch. How many replacement milspec retainers can you get at that price?

-Zach

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast