Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default Re: What do i need to do to get started?

Dont feel bad Zach. The Hunting laws/regs are as confusing as hell. I keep the digest handy for quick reference. The basic hunting license covers much of what you probably want to do. By the book you want to pay attention to the season dates, florescent requirements.

(Clinton County)

I think the furtaker course is only if you want to use snares but I could be mistaken. I'm by far not as well versed in all of this as most people. It's just something I've done for fun from time to time. I used to use foothold traps for coyote years ago.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    I think the furtaker course is only if you want to use snares but I could be mistaken. I'm by far not as well versed in all of this as most people. It's just something I've done for fun from time to time. I used to use foothold traps for coyote years ago.
    Further reading just has me confused. The course seemed to indicate i needed it only for foothold snares at one point and then suggested i needed it later for any furbearer.

Side tangent - does anybody know the law regarding nuisance squirrels? As in, they are destroying my property. Do i have to wait for them to be in season?

From my reading, it looked like if i was protecting my crops as a means of income, I'd be covered. But what about as a home owner with apple trees, multiple vegetable beds, etc?

They've already killed one tree last year and i replaced it this year. Naturally it was a fruiting honeycrisp tree and was replaced with an immature tree (so now i get to wait a few years). They chewed right through the trunk. First nasty wind storm came and it broke off 6" off the ground.

I've also seen them chewing into my neighbor's attic. Destroying bird houses etc.

I live in a suburban neighborhood. Hence the choice of pellet guns. Unless the laws in my township have changed, pellet guns are legal to shoot here.

I don't want my neighbor's calling the police on me for firing a "gun" only to get hit with a poaching fine after the air rifle is okayed.

I know that was a lot. But again, i truly appreciate everybody's input and help!

-Zach

(Bucks County)

even as a nuisance, you can't shoot game animals out of season.

Living in Levittown you better pay attention to safety zones too...My corner lot is 100 x 96 while the others are only 60 x 100...

I know someone is just waiting to dime you in unless you wait till dusk and practice SSS in total secrecy.

My neighbor, nice elderly lady, is out there every morning in her robe tossing out peanuts and bird seed...peanuts are buried all over the block.

She would drop a dime in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by wis bang; June 5th, 2020 at 11:59 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    even as a nuisance, you can't shoot game animals out of season.

Living in Levittown you better pay attention to safety zones too...My corner lot is 100 x 96 while the others are only 60 x 100...

I know someone is just waiting to dime you in unless you wait till dusk and practice SSS in total secrecy.

My neighbor, nice elderly lady, is out there every morning in her robe tossing out peanuts and bird seed...peanuts are buried all over the block.

She would drop a dime in a heartbeat.
    Could you elaborate on the safety zones?

And yes, my block has one of those people who subsidizes squirrels even though they've literally gone unchecked for almost 70 years in the area. But you probably know that too since you are also in Levittown. Stonybrook section here.

Thanks!

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Could you elaborate on the safety zones?

And yes, my block has one of those people who subsidizes squirrels even though they've literally gone unchecked for almost 70 years in the area. But you probably know that too since you are also in Levittown. Stonybrook section here.

Thanks!

-Zach
    Archery safety zone is 50 yards from buildings. Riffle and shotgun increases to 150 yards [450 ft] and it is unlawful to hunt within the safety zone without permission.

If your neighbor's shed is 10 feet from your property line you can't hunt the 440 feet you own because of the safety zone...

you can't legally hunt in a Levittown neighborhood, maybe some of the green belts if the local POPO don't mind...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    Archery safety zone is 50 yards from buildings. Riffle and shotgun increases to 150 yards [450 ft] and it is unlawful to hunt within the safety zone without permission.

If your neighbor's shed is 10 feet from your property line you can't hunt the 440 feet you own because of the safety zone...

you can't legally hunt in a Levittown neighborhood, maybe some of the green belts if the local POPO don't mind...
    Thank you so much! I wish this stuff would have been covered in the "safety" course instead of the history of crossbows and how a firearm works.

-Zach

Thank you so much! I wish this stuff would have been covered in the "safety" course instead of the history of crossbows and how a firearm works.

-Zach
    It's all in the annual digest.

(Bucks County)

Just got my safety certificate card in the mail. Thanks again guys!
    One small point, when purchasing the hunting license, it is simply a yes/no box for whether you passed hunter safety. I expected to have to enter a certificate number or something.
    It wasn't for nothing though.
    Again, thanks to everyone for their input and help!

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Just got my safety certificate card in the mail. Thanks again guys!
    One small point, when purchasing the hunting license, it is simply a yes/no box for whether you passed hunter safety. I expected to have to enter a certificate number or something.
    It wasn't for nothing though.
    Again, thanks to everyone for their input and help!

-Zach
    Should you ever visit the Rockeys and a lot of other states you will need the number. My card is so old it didn't get one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast