Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Pistol Reflex Sight

I put a Holoson red dot on my Glock 17. I quickly noticed that if I am casually bringing the gun up to aim and actively looking for the red dot, I have to move the gun around to find the dot like I am a moron. BUT when I shoot on a timer, with a quick draw and presentation of the gun its right there and ready to go. Problem solved. Just draw and point the gun like normal and don’t think about the dot.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    So the biggest benefits I think are moving the focal plane to the target instead of front sight, being able to shoot more precisely at longer distances, and easy sighting in low light and against dark targets.

It takes a lot of practice to get used to. Overall, I am still better with iron sights, but I can see the benefits.
    I got a Sig P229 with one. Co-witness sights.

Took me about 2 magazines to get comfortable with it. But, I've got no dominant eye and I need reading glasses, so make of that what you will.

(Bucks County)

So, I recently bought a ruger mk iv 22/45 tactical. My intention was to install a red dot because I wanted something to use for shooting steel and possibly start getting into matches. My ruger came with a rail, so made adding a sight easy. I installed a Bushnell micro red dot. Immediately I noticed how hard it was to pick up the dot. Yesterday I went to the range and sighted it in at 20 yards. Once I was dialed in, it was a bit easier to pick up the dot, but still had to fish for it for the first shot of the sequence. Once I was on target, it was easier to pick up for follow up shots. That said, I'm happy with the setup and don't regret it one bit. But, it can be tricky to pick the dot up at first.

(Bucks County)

For me . . .

Red dots on pistols are fine at the range. As everyone has said, it will take time to rapidly acquire the dot for a first shot. With practice you MAY get better at it, but it will never be as easy as getting iron sights close to on-target. While looking at your target you can always see the iron sights in your peripheral vision. You can certainly see the lens of the red dot device at all times, but you have no idea where the red dot actually is lol. OTOH, for some folks aligning the red dot (once you find it) precisely on target might be faster than using iron sights depending on eyesight and desired precision.

Lasers are fine at the range until lighting conditions, target contrast, or distance render the laser "invisible". If you know those things aren't factors where you will shoot, lasers can be the easiest to acquire and target.

For carry, I personally wouldn't bother with the bulk and repetitions required to use a red dot. A laser (including slung under barrel on a rail with a useful holster) can be a useful addition without adding problematic bulk. The iron sights are unchanged, unobscured, and the laser may prove incredibly useful.

JMO.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    For me . . .

Red dots on pistols are fine at the range. As everyone has said, it will take time to rapidly acquire the dot for a first shot. With practice you MAY get better at it, but it will never be as easy as getting iron sights close to on-target. While looking at your target you can always see the iron sights in your peripheral vision. You can certainly see the lens of the red dot device at all times, but you have no idea where the red dot actually is lol. OTOH, for some folks aligning the red dot (once you find it) precisely on target might be faster than using iron sights depending on eyesight and desired precision.

Lasers are fine at the range until lighting conditions, target contrast, or distance render the laser "invisible". If you know those things aren't factors where you will shoot, lasers can be the easiest to acquire and target.

For carry, I personally wouldn't bother with the bulk and repetitions required to use a red dot. A laser (including slung under barrel on a rail with a useful holster) can be a useful addition without adding problematic bulk. The iron sights are unchanged, unobscured, and the laser may prove incredibly useful.

JMO.
    I'm of your mindset. For a carry gun, I'd prefer a decent set of irons over a red dot. The Springfield hellcat never made sense to me. That said, I feel I can be more accurate at the range, and it seems I can shoot more accurately, faster with the red dot.

(Perry County)

You're in the same boat I am.

My experiences and recommendations...I found that my aging eyes could no longer focus on the front sight and my accuracy suffered. I bought shooting glasses (Swiss Eye) that came with removable inserts that could have corrective lenses put in them. I removed the left eye half of the insert and had my eye doctor make a lens at the proper correction for extended arms. It works great. The problem as I thought about self defense shooting was I won't have my special glasses.

First try at a red-dot was a Glock mount that used the rear sight dovetail and sat on top of the slide. I could not find the dot quickly, it was too high. So I didn't worry about it too much until all of these pistol started coming out with pre-milled slides. I picked up a CZ P10C and mounted a Holosun. It makes a world of difference because the dot is right there when presenting as usual. In my first session, I was faster on my Texas star than I was with irons.

Also, in my case I can see just the very top of the iron sights with my setup. Enough to make them usable for crude accuracy. As a secondary aiming system, I bought a Streamlight TLR-8. Gives me a laser dot for aiming in addition to irons if the Holosun takes a shit at the wrong time.

My suggestion is 1 or 2 carry guns with red dots. Get the corrective lens shooting glasses for iron sight range sessions and don't use those guns as carry guns. Watching the old dude drop the church shooter made it very apparent that accurate shooting at range can be decisive in saving lives.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Chester County)

PSA is coming out with a pistol based on the Gen 3 Glock 19. The model with a rmr cutout is only $350. I*ll probably grab that and a vortex razor to break the ice into shooting pistols with RMRs.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

On the Hellcat, I noticed printing much more in warmer weather. I can pick up the 3 MOA dot decent with my older eyes and it co-witnesses well in the event your electronics fail. My overall take on it is "I can take it or leave it". I spent 200 bucks to shoot a reflex sighted gun. If you can find someone who has one that would allow you to shoot with it, do that. It will either allow you to dive in or save cash if you don't like it! Mine is OFF the slide now.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Westmoreland County)

A lot of replies were about reflex sights and carry guns. I am wanting to put this on a MkIII which would never be used for that.

I agree w/ a lot of the comments on trying to find the dot. I have a under rail laser on my 1911 and have that very problem with it. Probably will get/make a under rail mount for my MkIII. That way I can get on target w/ the iron sights and then get more precise by focusing on the target/red dot.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    A lot of replies were about reflex sights and carry guns. I am wanting to put this on a MkIII which would never be used for that.

I agree w/ a lot of the comments on trying to find the dot. I have a under rail laser on my 1911 and have that very problem with it. Probably will get/make a under rail mount for my MkIII. That way I can get on target w/ the iron sights and then get more precise by focusing on the target/red dot.
    If you're putting this on a mkiii, you should be drilled and tapped for a pic rail, at which point a standard mount for the reflex sight should work just fine. Here is my setup
    https://ibb.co/qC6srcC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast