Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default PA transfer taking hours?

Friend of mine hooked up with a guy off of Armslist yesterday. He said that the guy was on the phone for two hours (on hold) to get the approval.

I mean, COVID and riots have people wanting guns I guess, but that seems crazy to me. Not sure if that was PICS or NICS. He bought a shotgun. Anyone else running into this? I was considering adding to the hoard, but I have too many guns already to be waiting 2 hours for some shitty gov't office to check a box on a damn form. Wondering what everyone's experiences have been. Also this was "some dude" and not a store. Though that never mattered in the past for me.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: PA transfer taking hours?

2 weeks ago was in and out for me (literally like 10 minutes), but that was pre-riots.

(Centre County)

I am a FFL who does a lot of transfers for people buying from online. I have been on hold from 5 minutes to 3 1/2 hrs (but that was 2 weeks ago). I have talked to the supervisor down there and although they are FULLY staffed, they only have so many operators. They have been getting inundated with requests for checks far above what they normally get due to the "pandemic". With all the new requests, if just one item doesn't migrate into the system automatically a flag goes up and an operator has to do the check manually. This may take a few minutes or longer and that takes an operator out until they get that check done. I was told that they have even had a good number of people with felony convictions trying to get firearms (maybe thinking that because of the "pandemic" they might slip through). When this happens that operator has additional (legal) things that have to be done.

This past week - 10 days, when I've been put on hold (about 5-10% of the time) the hold times have varied from 5 minutes to 30 minutes depending on the time of day. Lunch time (11am-1pm) can get bogged down pretty bad as well as the 4pm-5pm time frame.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

I was on hold min 5-10 min several times this weekend and yesterday nothing but busy signal. So yea. 2nd panic has hit.
    Epics took a couple min to digest as well.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Think it just matters how many calls are ahead of you. Your FFL could get straight through or be #2 or #20 in the queue.

(Centre County)

I can tell you that if the voice says "Your position in queue is ...8" you're going to be waiting at least 1/2 hour. A lot of the times it is just the system is so overloaded that something just doesn't get into the computer from the DL number. Many times I've been on hold only to be asked race and place of birth.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Friend of mine hooked up with a guy off of Armslist yesterday. He said that the guy was on the phone for two hours (on hold) to get the approval.

I mean, COVID and riots have people wanting guns I guess, but that seems crazy to me. Not sure if that was PICS or NICS. He bought a shotgun. Anyone else running into this? I was considering adding to the hoard, but I have too many guns already to be waiting 2 hours for some shitty gov't office to check a box on a damn form. Wondering what everyone's experiences have been. Also this was "some dude" and not a store. Though that never mattered in the past for me.
    C&R?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Wayne County)

I know my one LGS/sporting goods store is closing at 5 pm lately and they are not doing new gun sales after 3 pm because of this.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Bucks County)

PICS hours is 8AM to 10PM. LGS closing at 5pm (and not calling after 3PM) might be part of the problem.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    2 weeks ago was in and out for me (literally like 10 minutes), but that was pre-riots.
    Same for me three weeks ago. FFL said there were very long hold times on the phone in April but I was in and out in 20 minutes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast