Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Clearfield County)

Default Re: $3500 Mosin-Nagant ?

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Actually , the Bolsheviks claimed they did NOT meet quality specs, part of the reason they refused them.
    Well if the Bolsheviks said it it must be true

(Bucks County)

Whenever the mighty Mosin is disparaged , this must be posted and read.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm
    That's pretty funny.

Stuff you know if you have an AK Stuff you know if you have an AR Stuff you know if you have a Mosin Nagant
    It works though you have never cleaned it. Ever. You have $9 per ounce special non-detergent synthetic Teflon infused oil for cleaning. It was last cleaned in Berlin in 1945.
    You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from inside. You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from 600 meters. You can hit the farm from two counties over.
    Cheap mags are fun to buy. Cheap mags melt. What's a mag?
    Your safety can be heard from 300 meters away. You can silently flip off the safety with your finger on the trigger. What's a safety?
    Your rifle comes with a cheap nylon sling. Your rifle has a 9 point stealth tactical suspension system. You rifle has dog collars.
    Your bayonet makes a good wire cutter. Your bayonet is actually a pretty good steak knife. Your bayonet is longer than your leg.
    You can put a .30" hole through 12" of oak, if you can hit it. You can put one hole in a paper target at 100 meters with 30 rounds. You can knock down everyone else's target with the shock wave of your bullet going downrange.
    When out of ammo your rifle will nominally pass as a club. When out of ammo, your rifle makes a great wiffle bat. When out of ammo, your rifle makes a supreme war club, pike, boat oar, tent pole, or firewood.
    Recoil is manageable, even fun. What's recoil? Recoil is often used to relocate shoulders thrown out by the previous shot.
    Your sight adjustment goes to "10", and you've never bothered moving it. Your sight adjustment is incremented in fractions of minute of angle. Your sight adjustment goes to 12 miles and you've actually tried it.
    Your rifle can be used by any two bit nation's most illiterate conscripts to fight elite forces worldwide. Your rifle is used by elite forces worldwide to fight two bit nations' most illiterate conscripts. Your rifle has fought against itself and won every time.
    Your rifle won some revolutions. Your rifle won the Cold War. Your rifle won a pole vault event.
    You paid $350. You paid $900. You paid $59.95.
    You buy cheap ammo by the case. You lovingly reload precision crafted rounds one by one. You dig your ammo out of a farmer's field in Ukraine and it works just fine.
    You can intimidate your foe with the bayonet mounted. You foes laugh when you mount your bayonet. You can bayonet your foe on the other side of the river without leaving the comfort of your hole.
    Service life, 50 years. Service life, 40 years. Service life, 100 years, and counting.
    It's easier to buy a new rifle when you want to change cartridge sizes. You can change cartridge sizes with the push of a couple of pins and a new upper. You believe no real man would dare risk the ridicule of his friends by suggesting there is anything but 7.62x54r.
    You can repair your rifle with a big hammer and a swift kick. You can repair your rifle by taking it to a certified gunsmith, it's under warranty! If your rifle breaks, you buy a new one.
    You consider it a badge of honor when you get your handguards to burst into flames. You consider it a badge of honor when you shoot a sub-MOA 5 shot group. You consider it a badge of honor when you cycle 5 rounds without the aid of a 2x4.
    After a long day the range you relax by watching "Red Dawn". After a long day at the range you relax by watching "Blackhawk Down". After a long day at the range you relax by visiting the chiropractor.
    After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for a stiff shot of Vodka. After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for hotdogs and apple pie. After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for shishkabob.
    You can accessorize you rifle with a new muzzle brake or a nice stock set. Your rifle's accessories are eight times more valuable than your rifle. Your rifle's accessory is a small tin can with a funny lid, but it's buried under an apartment building somewhere in Budapest.
    Your rifle's finish is varnish and paint. Your rifle's finish is Teflon and high tech polymers. Your rifle's finish is low grade shellac, cosmoline and Olga's toe nails.
    Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Mikhail Kalashnikov. Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Eugene Stoner. You're not sure there WERE cameras to photograph Sergei Mosin.
    Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to hold your rifle over your head and shout "Wolverines!" Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to clear your house, slicing the pie from room to room. Late at night, you sometimes have to fight the urge to dig a fighting trench in the the yard to sleep in.

There you have it. In the end, it is clear to any open minded inquirer that the Mosin Nagant is the most superior weapon of all time, but the AR and the AK come out as a draw when compared side by side.

(York County)

I have a few rare Mosins and many clean examples of more common models.

Most collectors will pay whatever to fill in that spot in their collection. I'll pay $5k for a 1936 Finnish M27.
    About 5-6 years ago a very rare Mosin sold on Gunbroker for $12,500. That was one of the few remaining Suomen Ampumataruikehdas barreled (SAT) M91s.

(Westmoreland County)

I've seen a person pay $17k for a rare (gasp) Mosin if that makes anyone feel better. I love the rifles, but I wouldn't pay $3.5k for a rare year/maker M39 (I'd have a hard time paying that for a really nice modern firearm). But, some people will and do. I've seen quite a few sell for a few thousand dollars. It's a collector thing.

(Bucks County)

I do not have no problem with collectors paying anything they feel its worth. Just like coin collectors spending thousands (or hundreds of thousands) on a rare penny. And as always there will be thousands of comments saying how silly it is to pay that much. After all "Its only worth a Penny". I am not sure how these people can be so clueless that people collect things and that rare things can be more valuable than common things.

For me the value of this Mosin-Nagant was to high. The Finns did not make the rifle. They were Russian captures that were reworked with a new heavier barrel. The rifle didn't even have the original stock so this rifle was a complete parts mixmaster. That is a lot of money to pay just for a marked barrel.

But like I said before......what do I know. It sold quickly.

(Westmoreland County)

The rifles that sold in the tens of thousands of dollars were original matching Russian (with the exception of the rare SAT marked M91). All Finnish rifles are going to be a mix of Russian made and Finnish made parts with a lot being difficult to identify as original matching to the rifle. Typically, with few exceptions, the bolts are the only "matching" parts to the Finnish rifles. I would pay, if I had the money, $3k for a nice Finnish M27RV. That's probably the only Finnish rifle I'd spend a good bit on (if I had the spare cash). Note, I'd also spend that much on an SAT marked M91 as it would be significantly undervalued.

(Clearfield County)

You want to talk rip offs take a look at any military style semi auto rifle that isn't an AR these days.

You think it costs anywhere near $1400 to make a tavor? They could sell them for $800 and still turn a better profit than most other gun makers. Don't get me started on SCARS.

You have guns that are designed to be built for almost nothing, and nobody bats an eye at paying thousands for something that is mostly plastic.

'You consider it a badge of honor when you cycle 5 rounds without the aid of a 2x4.''

Mine cycles fine with brass cased ammo. Steel can be a bear.

The 147gr 'light ball' WWII military loading is actually a bit faster than the USGI M2 150gr 30-06.

I love the stories of how only the first waves of counterattacks had rifles. The following waves had only ammo and were told to pick up the rifles of fallen comrades!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post

You have guns that are designed to be built for almost nothing, and nobody bats an eye at paying thousands for something that is mostly plastic.

That could be said for most manufactured goods today.

Wonder what percentage of gun prices goes to the companies legal dept?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Clearfield County)

That could be said for most manufactured goods today.

Wonder what percentage of gun prices goes to the companies legal dept?
    The difference being those products are sold for considerably less than they used to be adjusted for inflation.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234