Quote Originally Posted by flejl View Post
Having been forced to travel to/from, and in "high crime" areas for various reasons outside of my control in my lifetime; sometime while alone, sometime with co-workers, other times with seriously ill family members, I would say it is advisable to have a good plan on how to deal with a bad situation if that comes up.

I would add I have also been approached by we will say "elements with no good intention in mind" on ocasion and for me, these are the steps I have thought out:

1. Whatever item(s) you plan to use for self defense, practce with them frequently, understand how they function and how to use them well before hand, do not try to
learn at time of need.
2. Avoid a problem if possible. Meaning if in a car and someone you do not know is coming at you and trying to get in to your car or worse, leave, run a traffic light, etc
3. Call 911, ID yourself and the issue, then put the phone on speaker so actions are recorded
4. If you cannot leave, place yourself in the best position you can for what will happen next.
5. If all else fails, you will need to make some very hard decisions next, these will very likely have serious implications to you, your family, and possibly others involved.

Since I have an LTCF, when I travel to a "questionable area", at minmum I have one or more loaded pistols with me in my car or on my person.
If traveling to a "questionable area" at night and with my wife, I may also include my 12 guage Shockwave.

If confronted by a bad situation, then I have already been following step #1 for a long time, so I follow the remaining steps listed above.

Jusy my opinion, others may have different views.
All good advice.