Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default A few questions about CCW/nfa/open carry

With all the chaos in the world I have a question. First of all I've been a PA LTCF holder for over 2 decades and been into NFA weapons for over 15 years. Normally I don't carry a nfa loaded rifle anywhere, at any time for any reason, or something that is classified as a pistol, like an AR pistol.
    So with PA law, I'm thinking these scenarios are legal with NFA and CCW permit.
    1. NFA SBR PCC or AR/AK & Suppressor. Can be carried legally open carry (not Philly) around my hometown area, streets, etc. Can be moved via car on passenger seat, etc fully loaded.
    2. Any type of PCC or AR/AK with a short barrel under 16" and a pistol brace.
    Can be carried legally open carry (not Philly) around my hometown area, streets, etc. Can be moved via car on passenger seat, etc fully loaded.
    Would these 2 above scenarios be ok?
    I believe the exception would be if utilizing a standard rifle/shotgun with barrels over 16/18" then they can not be transported loaded on the passenger seat. Those must be unloaded and transported ammo/gun in separate containers.
    Thanks for the help.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: A few questions about CCW/nfa/open carry

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2001 View Post
    With all the chaos in the world I have a question. First of all I've been a PA LTCF holder for over 2 decades and been into NFA weapons for over 15 years. Normally I don't carry a nfa loaded rifle anywhere, at any time for any reason, or something that is classified as a pistol, like an AR pistol.
    So with PA law, I'm thinking these scenarios are legal with NFA and CCW permit.
    1. NFA SBR PCC or AR/AK & Suppressor. Can be carried legally open carry (not Philly) around my hometown area, streets, etc. Can be moved via car on passenger seat, etc fully loaded.
    2. Any type of PCC or AR/AK with a short barrel under 16" and a pistol brace.
    Can be carried legally open carry (not Philly) around my hometown area, streets, etc. Can be moved via car on passenger seat, etc fully loaded.
    Would these 2 above scenarios be ok?
    I believe the exception would be if utilizing a standard rifle/shotgun with barrels over 16/18" then they can not be transported loaded on the passenger seat. Those must be unloaded and transported ammo/gun in separate containers.
    Thanks for the help.
    You are correct on all points, except the "not Philly" parentheticals. Everything you posited is also legal in Philly.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

Thanks. I know Philly has its own laws and never go there really but I just wanted to clarify that, just in case.

(Franklin County)

Thanks. I know Philly has its own laws and never go there really but I just wanted to clarify that, just in case.
    Actually, they do not "have their own laws", and are not permitted to enact their own firearms regulations.

The state legislature (the only authority for firearms regulation) has enacted a statute that applies only to "cities of the first class". The qualification for this category is population over 1 million, and for now, Philly is the only city in that category.

So there is a slight difference, in that "cities of the first class" require one to be licensed, even for open carry, but that is an actual state law, and will apply to any city that ever surpasses 1 million residents, and likewise, will CEASE to apply in Philly, if they ever drop below that number.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

Thanks

(Chester County)

However, just remember, if you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to use your weapon in a self defense shooting, be prepared to lose it for a very long time, if not forever.

(Philadelphia County)

Im guessing if it were me,
    I would rather lose a weapon than a life

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    Im guessing if it were me,
    I would rather lose a weapon than a life
    True but I would rather lose a $400 Glock 17 or a bare bones AR pistol that I can easily replace than an expensive NFA item that will be costly and time consuming to replace, and which might only offer limited if any tactical advantages. I just know that if you are involved in a defensive shooting, your firearm will be thrown in a police locker for years and will almost certainly come out looking worse than when it went in. Not to mention, you will most likely need to hire a good lawyer to get it back, if and when you ever do. I'd rather write off my plain jane Glock and buy a new one than to wait years to get it back.

(Montgomery County)

They only WISH they did

(Bucks County)

I know this is months after the fact, but I wanted to add a caveat to this factually correct comment. While Philadelphia does not "have their own laws," each jurisdiction in PA *does* have their own prosecutor and police department. The gun "friendliness" of local DA's and police are largely the determinative factor of whether an interaction with law enforcement will result in arrest.

Philadelphia government (in all its forms, including the PPD) is hostile to firearms ownership. It took me two months to get a CCL and I was an ADA at the time witb friends in the licensing department (my renewal in Bucks took 25 minutes). Things have reportedly only grown worse as the powers that be have found the current series of crises to be useful in enacting their preexisting agenda.

We are all familiar with the current Philadelphia DA, Mayor, and police chief's attitudes towards gun ownership. Anyone carrying in Philadelphia should expect any ambiguous circumstance to be construed against them, perhaps willingly so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast