Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Single action army clones - suggestions?

Howdy, y'all!

I've been thinking about getting a Colt SAA clone in .357 magnum for quite a while. Having recntly bought a Ruger Wrangler, I remembered just how much I like the style. I used to have an Uberti Lawman in .45LC, but it was too expensive to shoot.

One of my LGSs has a Traditions .357 magnum with a 5.5" bbl and the oversized grips and it appears to be made very well. I've almost bought it a couple of times.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/c...rontier-Series

My question is: what are some decent, inexpensive SAA revolvers out there? Not just single action, like Ruger Blackhawks, more like real SAAs, like the Vaquero.

Photos help. What you like/dislike. Where you got it. How much was it.

Thanks
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Single action army clones - suggestions?

If the Vaquero is in the running then I would get a Vaquero, no question. Can't beat the value of a Ruger.

(Montgomery County)

Uberti cattleman II or El Patron hands down. Smooth actions and they look very nice. The floating firing pin is a nice feature though not 'correct' - more correct than a transfer bar though!

(Bucks County)

I have an Uberti E Patron in .357 that I particularly like. Fit and finish is exceptional and the action is very smooth. I would agree with jthreif about firing pin.

I also have a Ruger New Vaquero .357 that's a special Talo edition if memory serves. It's polished stainless with special grips with a star pattern.

Both are very good in their own way, and it's a bit hard to describe, but the Uberti feels more like a sports car, while the Ruger is heavier and bigger.

My suggestion would be to get a feel for either...you can't go wrong either way.

For sheer ruggedness and reliability, Ruger Vaquero all the way. You're going to pay more, but I think it's worth it. For something a bit closer to the original SAA, any Uberti/Cimarron 1873 clone will work. Both are made at the same Uberti factory in Italy. Cimarron QCs the Uberti guns once they reach the US, hence the higher price. Before the pandemic, you could find used Uberti's for $400 pretty easily. Not sure about now.

(York County)

The real question here is do you want something fun that is more historical in weight, handling qualities or just the appearance of the old west.

Both Uberti and Pietta made single actions are very nice guns. They are retailed by a variety of wholesalers, each whom has something to offer. Cimarron or Taylor and Company are both good in that regards. Even their low end budget line (plainer finish) are authentic in that you get a gun that has the right feel and uses the majority of parts an original Colt Model P has in its design. The balance on a Model P is different than the Ruger which to me is heavier and clunkier. On the other hand it is hard to find fault with the sheer ruggedness of Rugers.

I like the .38/.357 caliber as well because it is fun to shoot, easy to reload for and off the shelf ammo costs about half of what .45 LC or .44-40 costs.

Here is a link to Cimarron's Pistolero page: MSRP is under $500
    https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/pi...-4-3-4-in.html

Here's Taylor and Company's basic gun at MSRP $503
    https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand....html?___SID=U
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; May 29th, 2020 at 08:33 AM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    The real question here is do you want something fun that is more historical in weight, handling qualities or just the appearance of the old west.

Both Uberti and Pietta made single actions are very nice guns. They are retailed by a variety of wholesalers, each whom has something to offer. Cimarron or Taylor and Company are both good in that regards. Even their low end budget line (plainer finish) are authentic in that you get a gun that has the right feel and uses the majority of parts an original Colt Model P has in its design. The balance on a Model P is different than the Ruger which to me is heavier and clunkier. On the other hand it is hard to find fault with the sheer ruggedness of Rugers.

I like the .38/.357 caliber as well because it is fun to shoot, easy to reload for and off the shelf ammo costs about half of what .45 LC or .44-40 costs.

Here is a link to Cimarron's Pistolero page: MSRP is under $500
    https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/pi...-4-3-4-in.html

Here's Taylor and Company's basic gun at MSRP $503
    https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand....html?___SID=U

I'm looking for a generalized SAA. If I was really a purist, I'd scrimp and save and get a Colt. But, don't want one bad enough to spend that much money.

Actually, I LIKE the idea of the transfer bar as a safety feature. Having the ability to load all six chambers is a positive in my mind. I don't plan on storing money in my empty cylinder.

I'm also looking for more budget friendly options than the Ruger. The Vaquero is nice, but I can pick up one of the others for about 2/3 the price. This isn't going to be a show piece. I want a shooter. Something that can be carried as a backup bear hunting and get rained on and scratched and used/loved. One of the major things of importance to me is the relative size of the space inside the trigger guard. I loved my Uberti, but the trigger guard was the smallest that I've seen in an SAA. Definitely NOT conducive to wearing gloves during bear season.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Chester County)

If you can find a used USFA Rodeo or SAA that isn't the price of a Colt, buy it. If you want the four clicks, get one of the Italian clones that the others have stated, if not then the Ruger is a great choice.

(Lebanon County)

if you're going single action, it needs to be in 45 colt.
    i have a few cimarrons, other than the bolt spring breaking once in awhile they are good stuff.

https://youtu.be/Ypdp_l9mvlI
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(York County)

The biggest flaw in the design of the Model P is that spring that pushes up the bolt and helps keep the trigger in position. While I've never had one fail, they are cheap to buy, easy to replace and there are drop in after market replacements out there that eliminate the breakage issue entirely.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast