Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Single action army clones - suggestions?

I've had a Cimarron/Uberti US Artillery Model P for about 20yrs. Can't really find a flaw with it other than the 10-ton leaf trigger spring . I did install a Wolff wireform spring kit.

20120812_10.JPG

FWIW , the Ruger Vaquero is a well built gun , but it is a bit bigger , heavier and IMO , a bit clumsier than a true SAA-size like the Italian clones.
    Last edited by abner13; May 29th, 2020 at 03:54 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lebanon County)

easy enough to swap, and cheap enough to purchase, so never really got to upset when one broke...now i keep a few on hand
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I'm looking for a generalized SAA. If I was really a purist, I'd scrimp and save and get a Colt. But, don't want one bad enough to spend that much money.

Actually, I LIKE the idea of the transfer bar as a safety feature. Having the ability to load all six chambers is a positive in my mind. I don't plan on storing money in my empty cylinder.

I'm also looking for more budget friendly options than the Ruger. The Vaquero is nice, but I can pick up one of the others for about 2/3 the price. This isn't going to be a show piece. I want a shooter. Something that can be carried as a backup bear hunting and get rained on and scratched and used/loved. One of the major things of importance to me is the relative size of the space inside the trigger guard. I loved my Uberti, but the trigger guard was the smallest that I've seen in an SAA. Definitely NOT conducive to wearing gloves during bear season.
    The trigger guard on my Vaqueros isn't very large. About the same as my Ubertis. You may want to go a different direction and look at something like an 1875 Army Outlaw. It has bigger grips and a bigger trigger guard. The big three (Uberti/Cimarron/Taylor) all offer a 5.5" 1875 in .357. Their websites suck because they don't list what they actually offer - only Taylor lists a 5.5" 1875 on their site.

(Clearfield County)

I'm going to go with most everyone else and say Ruger. There are really good Italian SAA clones out there, but there are also plenty that aren't quite so pretty on the inside. Its one of those things you kind of need to get into the weeds and learn what's what. Maybe check out some cowboy action forums and see what those guys have to say.

That being said I got a Cimarron Thunderer a while back and it is a damn nice gun.

(Allegheny County)

I’ll throw in 2 cents. I have a Ruger new vaquero stainless 4 5/8” .357.
    Great revolver. They are smaller than the original vaquero, (I had one) supposed to be closer to the SAA.
    Still one of my favorites.

(Susquehanna County)

If you get really lucky and stumble across a USED U.S. Firearms Rodeo or anything scarf it right up!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(York County)

Just loving all the affection for the single action! There is just something about them....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    If you can find a used USFA Rodeo or SAA that isn't the price of a Colt, buy it. If you want the four clicks, get one of the Italian clones that the others have stated, if not then the Ruger is a great choice.
    The new ubertis with the floating firing pin are 3 clicks. Not a big deal IMO and the mechanism allows you to always carry 6, but still looks great.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    The new ubertis with the floating firing pin are 3 clicks. Not a big deal IMO and the mechanism allows you to always carry 6, but still looks great.
    Good to know! Thanks. I wish USFA were still around.

(Perry County)

I looked at some Taylor's at the NRA show in February. They were real perty.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast