Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Plastic Magazine Followers

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    All my glocks and AR mags have plastic followers. Even some of my 1911 mags. I think they are better than metal. Plastic on metal is slick and doesn't need lube. Never had any problems.
    I was thinking the same thing, that some plastics are self-lubricating, but no metals are, and guns are made up of many working parts so that the more friction you can eliminate, the better the reliability.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

It's not plastic! It's space-age synthetic polymer!

Just like they never said aluminum. It was always lightweight aircraft-grade alloy!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

My basic concern was that the heavy compression on the follower caused by long time spring compression might result in plastic follower cracking over time. Based on responses seems concerns are unfounded. Thanks guys

(Franklin County)

I haven't owned anything with a metal follower in over 20 years, I haven't really even thought about it. The only issue I've had that could possibly be attributed to the follower being plastic is a couple of mags that would no longer hold the bolt open on last round. The nub broke off on one mag and the nub wore down on another, both were factory S&W mags. Considering hundreds of mags I've had over the years, that's nothing to complain about, and it's certainly not something I would consider a weakness of plastic followers.
    The Hostler

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, that some plastics are self-lubricating, but no metals are, and guns are made up of many working parts so that the more friction you can eliminate, the better the reliability.
    Impregnated bronze.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I haven't owned anything with a metal follower in over 20 years, I haven't really even thought about it. The only issue I've had that could possibly be attributed to the follower being plastic is a couple of mags that would no longer hold the bolt open on last round. The nub broke off on one mag and the nub wore down on another, both were factory S&W mags. Considering hundreds of mags I've had over the years, that's nothing to complain about, and it's certainly not something I would consider a weakness of plastic followers.
    Plastic is such a general term. Some are better suited than others. I have a grendle that I had to fit a piece of metal to the follower to operate the slide lock. I have never heard of a glock follower failure of worn follower slide lock.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12