Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Slings (mostly for EBRs)

So, I tried digging and I couldn't find a definitive sling thread.

I'm still a bit of a noob at some things. I have some questions:
    • Single point? Old-school (two point)? Three point? Which do I want? (no, I am not a hi speed lo drag operator, obviously - with my knees and gut I'm more of a hi-drag, slo-speed schmoe)
    • How do I use it? (I know you can carry your rifle, but you can use it with your stance freestanding or kneeling to enhance shooting platform stability - how do I do this without stringing myself up or looking like a chode?)
    • any special brand or material recommendations? (I presume nylon is the better material - altho I am sure I could get a hawt black patent leather one somewhere if it'll get more babes)
    • anything I missed?

I figure this could be a good resource (like many of our other threads have been to me) for others as they come along.

Default Re: Slings (mostly for EBRs)

I personally prefer the military style slings in leather, but that's just me and I only use it at the range.

(Allegheny County)

Boy, where to start?

A sling can serve 2 purposes.
    1. To carry your rifle.
    2. To assist in the stability of the rifle when shooting.

Carry - 2 basic types of carry, over the shoulder (like hunters do), and tactical carry, which typically slings the rifle across the chest in order to assist in taking the load off carrying it, and permits being able to bring the weapon into action quickly. Any sporting goods store sling will do for hunting style carrying. For tactical carry, search on-line for a one, two, or three point sling. These type of slings do nothing in assiting in accuracy.

Stability - One can increase the stability of a rifle by 60% by utilizing a proper sling in a proper fashion. You will want a classic military style sling (1903) in either leather or a good synthetic (that mimics leathers properties). The best slings out their (IMHO) are made by Turner Saddlery.

Link:
    http://turnersling.com/miva/merchant.mvc

Use and sling attachment Link:

http://www.turnersling.com/miva/merc...egory_Code=FAQ

You can also save some cash and still increase your stability by buying a service rifle "web" sling.

Link: http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/websling/webslinghelp.htm

There is much more to shooting a rifle well than just employing a sling.
    Last edited by Hawk; October 24th, 2008 at 11:05 AM.
    Toujours pręt

(Philadelphia County)

I'd recommend against a 1 point for a first sling. A simple 2 point silent sling can be easily used for carry and to brace the support arm. See what your buddys have, try theirs and don't be afraid to ask someone at a range if they have a different sling to see what you like.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You will want a classic military style sling (1903) in either leather or a good synthetic (that mimics leathers properties). The best slings out their (IMHO) are made by Turner Saddlery.
    +1!

I have Turner slings for my rifles that will accept them; you can't put an M1903 sling on AK sling mounts. Without the sling, my groups are all over the place. These slings help lock you in a steady position. If you are a big guy, you may want to get an extended length sling. I have a couple of Springfield M1903 slings that are just too short in the prone position. I got 54" Turner slings and they can be adjusted to fit well in any position.

(Cambria County)

Slings:

For pump shotguns and rifles, I like a single-point sling. It keeps the rifle at the ready and there's no sling material up front to get in the way.

For bolt-rifles/tack drivers/hunting guns, I like a regular old two-point sling, the make and model depends on the rifle and what I'll be using it for.

For my EBR's, I actually prefer 3-point slings (Specter Gear, Rooster Tactical Slings) as I feel they carry both of the main benefits of the other 2 types; the rifle is carried at the ready and you can use the 3-point sling to tension your support arm and add a bunch of stability when firing your rifle (though when prone, this doesn't always work out so well). The one exception to this is maybe the M4 platform, it's so small and light out front that I think the benefits of the weapon (being quick to move and point) are hindered by shooting with your arm locked into a position supported by a sling, I'd go single-point for that weapon (and other similar low recoil, small and light rifles/carbines).

I'm buying a Specter 3-point for my M14 once it's built, I love their slings personally.
    Last edited by NineseveN; October 24th, 2008 at 01:31 PM.

(Butler County)

I just put on a leather "contractor" sling on my 6920 but I haven't trimmed it to fit yet. I'd like to run it for awhile before cutting anything.

I got it, along with a ching sling that I haven't installed on my Model 70 yet and some custom made shotgun ammo carriers, from Andy. http://www.andysleather.com/

I like what he's sent me so far. He's going to work on building me an HK type sling that will work as a two point / carry strap unless I want it to function as a team sling using the same or similar hardware. I have to send him the prototype but I'm curious to see what the end result will be.

-Chris

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Havoc View Post
    I just put on a leather "contractor" sling on my 6920 but I haven't trimmed it to fit yet. I'd like to run it for awhile before cutting anything.

I got it, along with a ching sling that I haven't installed on my Model 70 yet and some custom made shotgun ammo carriers, from Andy. http://www.andysleather.com/

I like what he's sent me so far. He's going to work on building me an HK type sling that will work as a two point / carry strap unless I want it to function as a team sling using the same or similar hardware. I have to send him the prototype but I'm curious to see what the end result will be.

-Chris
    Very interesting. I never heard of or seen a Ching Sling. Looks like it would be useful and versatile for hunting. However, I see no advantage in it over a M1903 sling for range shooting.
    Toujours pręt

(York County)

Another good option for a 1907 sling is John Weller from Harrisburg.

http://www.slingsbyjhw.com/index.htm

His slings are very good quality and made to your order.

(Chester County)

LAV's words on the subject.

http://www.vickerstactical.com/Tacti...ineSlings.aspx

Yes, he has a sling on the market and a dog in the fight. However, his views are shared by many with similar experience.

Single points are good for retention during transitions. A friend of mine with heavy SWAT envolvement loves his ambi-single point setup...his whole team uses them. To someone who's patroling with their carbine, or kneeling with it, climbing with it....they'd probably want something else..

The tactical 2-point works well for just about everything.

As for some info on the 3-points.... http://www.spectergear.com/carryoptions.htm
    Last edited by synergy; October 25th, 2008 at 12:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast