Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Northumberland County)

Default Re: reduced power AR springs

Thanks all. Gonna give Kaw Valley springs a shot. Were only $5 and tout a 'better' pull but not as light as JPs, but also less likely to light strike supposedly. https://ar15discounts.com/products/k...er-spring-kit/

I figure its a good, cheap first step, and if it doesn't work, I'm only out $5. The DIY trigger jobs were a consideration but for $5, I'd rather not risk messing something up. A better trigger may follow eventually if this doesn't go far enough, but I'm fairly hopefully these will put it on an acceptable path.

"polishing" sear engagement surfaces is something that I don't recommend. Cheap parts are surfaced hardened. When you grind them away to be better, you run the risk of also exposing "soft" metal which will continue to wear faster than normal. This could eventually lead to accidental discharges. Non MIM mil spec trigger parts are so cheap, I don't know why anyone would fuck around with trying to home smith engagement surfaces. If you want "glass rod breaking" AR trigger performance, you are going to have to pony up some cash.

(Allegheny County)

I've played around with many factory and after market AR triggers in the past 15 years.
    The 15 min trigger job works well if you're on a strict budget or just want to play around.
    It works on both single and two stage triggers. If you screw it up or want to reverse it you're only out the cost of the 2 factory springs

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_minute_ar_trigger_job.htm

I agree to not mess around polishing/filing the sears. However if you want to break in and smooth out a factory trigger quickly and safely I found this method to work very well.

IMHO, the best two stage match (budget) trigger out there is still the Rock River Match Two Stage ($89)
    I use them on my NRA High Power rifles where 4.5 lbs. is the minimum pull requirement.
    I don't see any advantage to going less than 4 lbs. on a AR trigger unless you're into pression shooting using good glass and shooting from a rest or bipod.
    https://www.righttobear.com/rock-riv.../ar0093nmk.htm
    Last edited by Hawk; May 23rd, 2020 at 07:09 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Northumberland County)

Kaw Valley springs showed up. Tension is noticeably less than the Anderson ones. I don't have scale to test, but guessing maybe 1/3rd less pull weight, which is about what I was hoping for. Its not world class, but I wasn't expecting that for $5 either. It is a noticeable improvement though, so hoping it helps at the range.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Kaw Valley springs showed up. Tension is noticeably less than the Anderson ones. I don't have scale to test, but guessing maybe 1/3rd less pull weight, which is about what I was hoping for. Its not world class, but I wasn't expecting that for $5 either. It is a noticeable improvement though, so hoping it helps at the range.
    Kaw valley is a great manufacture I use some of their stuff in my ar 9 well made parts for sure.

(Bucks County)

Second the RRA FCG. They are a bargain these days. They used to be $120.

That RC video technique might be enhanceable with a squirt of toothpaste in the notch.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12