Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: 9mm revolver..... worth getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Good point, the 940.

However, many early 940 revolvers had roughly machined chambers which manifested in poor, almost impossible extraction. 940s with -1 and later "dash numbers" (revisions) exhibited fewer problems with extraction. The two 940s I once owned I ended up honing the chambers to remedy the problem. I later sold them when I went with the Ruger SP101s because of personal experience with two J-frame Smith revolvers cracking the frames at the barrel boss, and generally getting out of S&Ws that weren't N frame stainless guns in 44 Special, 45 ACP, or 45 Colt.

Not denigrating the 940, just stating choice based on personal experience.

Noah
    Works for me. I have never had a problem with any of the 940s I own, but only the 3 inch barrel one dates to 91-92. I may just have been lucky to get them after somebody polished the chambers. They're heavy as carry pieces, but still fun to shoot.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Philadelphia County)

To: Internet Troll and Bug out,
    Frankly Im a revolver guy and many moons ago I picked up a nice Smith and Wesson 940-1, I love it just as my other "J" frame revolvers, Yes as many of us I was yearning for something more,<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>
    So I went ahead and did some research and purchased a couple items,
    In the long run I was able to come up with my own Smith and Wesson "Pinto 3640 9mm" revolver BUT with a twist,
    Hmm you wonder,
    9mm >>> 38 Super and WHAT >>> 9x23 all in the same Chiefs special?
    Yep,
    Its a bit of a BBQ gun, But wow the 38 Super and 9x23 are a tad sharp,
    I carry a Smith model 37 nearly everyday for the past 20 years and the poor thing shows it,
    The "3640" comes out a couple times a year and has proven to be a solid performer.
    Above rounds use the same moon clip for ease of use and reloading,
    I was just shooting it last weekend,
    Bugout, I figured since you like the 9mm revolver platform, I figure you would like this, Er, Um 9mm and more revolver,
    Everyone stay safe over the next few days!
    Peter B
    re1.jpgre2.jpgre3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pred; May 31st, 2020 at 09:37 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

very cool mod... maybe i will post pics of my kimber k6s 3" 9mm conversion - dont know of another in existence like your pinto.

my new idea is to have a new taurus 3" ultralite 856 converted to 9mm, the cylinder is carbon steel so im thinking it should be strong enough - not sure what the thickness at thinnest point in cylinder is (that would be the weak point)... could run an FEA on that w 9mm saami load

(Philadelphia County)

I dont know if Smith and wesson still has 940 cylinders available, But if I recall when I bought mine it was about $65 bucks and then another $60 or so to get it reamed and polished,
    I did the rest of the work.
    I have a model 60 I can do the same work to, But I thought a Pinto would be more fun

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234