Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 9mm revolver..... worth getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I have two older Ruger SP101s in 9mm. They are 5 shot and use moon clips, and are shockingly accurate. The come with Ruger rubber grips with plastic inserts, and wood inserts are available as are Pachmayr Compac grips. Love them.

Noah
    Thanks for the feedback.

(Lancaster County)

The Taurus 692 gives you the ability to shoot three calibers...

(Allegheny County)

OP,
    Have you ever put a hundred rounds plus down range in one session with a compact grip snub-nose revolver before? It's not fun. Especially with the polymer or air-weight versions. If you are bent on a 9MM revolver for the range, I recommend a "K" size frame with a 3-4" barrel and full size grips.
    Last edited by Hawk; May 20th, 2020 at 06:39 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    OP,
    Have you ever put a hundred rounds plus down range in one session with a compact grip snub-nose revolver before? It's not fun. Especially with the polymer or air-weight versions. If you are bent on a 9MM revolver for the range, I recommend a "K" size frame with a 3-4" barrel and full size grips.
    you arent wrong but you do build up a tolerance and with snubs i sometimes change my grip to support hand thumb over back of shooting hand which greatly reduces muzzle flip.... the chiappa 200ds (2" barrel) you can shoot 357 or 9mm all day easily bc of that lower bore axis/ firing from bottom of cylinder with no pain or discomfort at all. all of the revolvers i listed above are easy shooters IMO with the exception of the LCR 1.87" barrel - accurate but not as soft...

(Philadelphia County)

for a snub the charter arms pitbull 9mm has very little recoil and is easy to shoot - i recommend pachmayr compac grip for it, i have no idea why but it is (maybr bc steel frame vs poly?) if so maybe the taurus 905 would be the snub to start with (very affordable and compact)...

grips can make a world of difference, the delta ergo grip for LCR also helps w recoil but needs getting used to

(Lehigh County)

Got a Taurus 692ss with 6.5" barrel and it is a hoot to shoot at the range!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=359743
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    the easiest to carry is the LCR, i am not sure why but it's very comfortable to carry AIWB - but it's hard to shoot easily and I am very much a snub revolver person so it's not that i am used to semi's at all; mine currently has a green laser grip on it.
    the chiappa rhino 3" is shoots both 357mag & 9mm like a laser beam up to 15yds for me; it's insane how easy, fast, and accurate it is... but the 200ds carries way better and has similar accuracy but the rear 'sight' is the notched cocking lever vs an adjustable rear fiber set on the 3".
    my current favorites are the kimber k6s 3inch (6shot) & the new taurus 692s (7shot); with the right grip the 692 can be carried well and is also insanely accurate out of the box.
    i would love to see a m85-ish sized 3" 6shot 9mm ultralite from taurus!
    What about the LCR makes it hard to shoot in 9mm? I shot a friend's LCR in .38 and it was spicy with +p, but nothing like my old S&W 642. I've toyed with getting the LCR in 9mm. Even had a chance to get a used one for $250 a few years ago and kick myself for not taking that deal. Two concerns has been recoil and bullet creep/crimp jump. I prefer to practice a lot with my carry guns. If they're not pleasant to shoot, I'm not interested. How does the recoil from a 9mm compare to a .38 +p or .357? And have you ever had an issue with bullets coming loose under recoil?

(Philadelphia County)

i use 115gr various manufacturers and have never personally had a round jump the crimp... and i have fired 1000s of 9mm across all those 9mm revolvers i listed. i personally dont have any issue w the LCR 9mm recoil which is why its my daily run out the door/ summer edc; but it is the harshest of the 9mm revolvers i listed... i have shot full load 158gr 357mag from an LCR and that was not fun but doable, i would say 9mm is on par or a hair above 38+p

(Philadelphia County)

i am playing with the idea of edc my chiappa 200ds for the extra round vs 5 in LCR but still playing w a comfortable rig.. might throw a belt clip on a soft "sticky" holster i have for the 200ds... had a kydex for my 300ds and just couldnt get it comfortable for aiwb

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    i use 115gr various manufacturers and have never personally had a round jump the crimp... and i have fired 1000s of 9mm across all those 9mm revolvers i listed. i personally dont have any issue w the LCR 9mm recoil which is why its my daily run out the door/ summer edc; but it is the harshest of the 9mm revolvers i listed... i have shot full load 158gr 357mag from an LCR and that was not fun but doable, i would say 9mm is on par or a hair above 38+p

Thanks for the info. I liked the feel of the LCR I shot, but wasn't a fan of the recoil. Recoil and arthritis don't play nicely together. I may pick one up one in 9mm someday if I find a good deal again. If I carried it, I'd probably load it with Liberty Civil Defense 50gr or Underwood Xtreme Defense. Both have much lower recoil, but perform very well for a SD round. Tanner's had a used 9mm SP101 for sale yesterday, but my wife already has a .357 SP101, so I don't see a point to getting the same gun for a "weaker" caliber. Also, as much as I like the SP101, for what it weighs, I can carry a comparable semi auto that holds a lot more rounds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast