Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 9mm revolver..... worth getting?

With the decline in use of 38, and dirt cheap 9mm everywhere I think they are a smart choice if looking for an alternative to 38.

(Susquehanna County)

Mine is a 5" bbl. S&W Model 986. 7 Shot moonclip fed. Titanium cylinder. I sent off to Mark Hartshorne for a trigger job. It's an L frame so not overhuge and with 124 gr. or 147 gr. ammo it packs a good wallop.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Columbia County)

Taurus = junk.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    Taurus = junk.
    no their customer service is, the new lineup is awesome and built well

(Philadelphia County)

so tonight i modified my sticky holster for the chiappa 200ds as discussed... i 'borrowed' a clip from my desantis holster that i dont use... very comfortable now AIWB

200ds1.jpg

200ds2.jpg

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    Taurus = junk.
    You're incorrect.

Are they up to S&W standards?
    No but, they're certainly not "junk".

Taurus is working to solve their extremely poor customer service...

(Delaware County)

Nobody seems to be mentioning S&W's model 940. This is a 9 mm version of the Centennial line. Made from 1991 - 1998 with a 1 7/8 inch barrel and from 1991 -1992 with a 3 inch barrel. I have both. The 3" barrel is really not what one buys for deep concealed carry, but it does shoot like a dream. The shorter snubbies are certainly snappier but not horribly so. They shoot more comfortably than the LCR in 9mm (you may notice something of a pattern to some of the revolvers that I own or have owned). I admit to having a thing for revolvers with moon clips - easier by far to recharge a cylinder than with speed loaders. I have or had revolvers in .45 acp and .380 as well.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Nobody seems to be mentioning S&W's model 940. This is a 9 mm version of the Centennial line. Made from 1991 - 1998 with a 1 7/8 inch barrel and from 1991 -1992 with a 3 inch barrel. I have both. The 3" barrel is really not what one buys for deep concealed carry, but it does shoot like a dream. The shorter snubbies are certainly snappier but not horribly so. They shoot more comfortably than the LCR in 9mm (you may notice something of a pattern to some of the revolvers that I own or have owned). I admit to having a thing for revolvers with moon clips - easier by far to recharge a cylinder than with speed loaders. I have or had revolvers in .45 acp and .380 as well.
    didnt forget, that wasnt a list of 9mm's known to exist... all those i listed including the TRR8 9mm conversion and 327 9mm conversion were all 9mm revolvers i have owned or currently own

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    didnt forget, that wasnt a list of 9mm's known to exist... all those i listed including the TRR8 9mm conversion and 327 9mm conversion were all 9mm revolvers i have owned or currently own
    I didn't say you forgot, I just noted that among all the other 9mm revolver talk nobody had mentioned the 940 models. I have a 9mm LCR too.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Good point, the 940.

However, many early 940 revolvers had roughly machined chambers which manifested in poor, almost impossible extraction. 940s with -1 and later "dash numbers" (revisions) exhibited fewer problems with extraction. The two 940s I once owned I ended up honing the chambers to remedy the problem. I later sold them when I went with the Ruger SP101s because of personal experience with two J-frame Smith revolvers cracking the frames at the barrel boss, and generally getting out of S&Ws that weren't N frame stainless guns in 44 Special, 45 ACP, or 45 Colt.

Not denigrating the 940, just stating choice based on personal experience.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast