Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Looking for Over-200-Yard range within...

...45 minutes of the Pittsburgh region (I'm in Glenshaw, on the northern suburb side).

1) I'm looking to shoot to 300 (and don't really need to go out further, for my purposes, but it would be nice) and it doesn't have to be so close to me that it would be practical to join. A once-in-a-while trip would be enough, but not 2 hours away or something. I don't need a full-auto range or a tactical setup or anything unusual, just a little longer than is common.

2) Also, separate note, I have been looking at a range/club to JOIN, maybe closer in to me. Anyone have an opinion on the Millvale Sportsmen's Club?

3) Lastly, is it a huge hassle to shoot in the Allegheny National Forest? Last time I shot in a National Forest, it was in Mt. Hood National Forest in Oregon, many years ago; I would just stop by the ranger station in Estacada on my way in, pay a few bucks for a piece of paper, and go shoot wherever I wanted. No fuss, no muss. I looked online at the website for Allegheny, and it indicated that I could target shoot, with stipulations for safety, but didn't mention requiring a permit...really???

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Looking for Over-200-Yard range within...

Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club (PMSC) is about 40 minutes from there.
    That's where the group shoot is that I mentioned, so if you don't get a chance to check it out sooner, you can see it on the 20th if you can make it.
    Note: the club is nice. The website sucks - bad.
    Lots of members here are members of PMSC, so it shouldn't be too hard to get info or find someone to offer a tour. (I could do so depending on my schedule)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    ...45 minutes of the Pittsburgh region (I'm in Glenshaw, on the northern suburb side).

1) I'm looking to shoot to 300 (and don't really need to go out further, for my purposes, but it would be nice) and it doesn't have to be so close to me that it would be practical to join. A once-in-a-while trip would be enough, but not 2 hours away or something. I don't need a full-auto range or a tactical setup or anything unusual, just a little longer than is common.

2) Also, separate note, I have been looking at a range/club to JOIN, maybe closer in to me. Anyone have an opinion on the Millvale Sportsmen's Club?

3) Lastly, is it a huge hassle to shoot in the Allegheny National Forest? Last time I shot in a National Forest, it was in Mt. Hood National Forest in Oregon, many years ago; I would just stop by the ranger station in Estacada on my way in, pay a few bucks for a piece of paper, and go shoot wherever I wanted. No fuss, no muss. I looked online at the website for Allegheny, and it indicated that I could target shoot, with stipulations for safety, but didn't mention requiring a permit...really???

Thanks!
    Yep, as EM mentioned, PMSC will do what you want. Rifle ranges are 50, 100, 200, 300 yards.

I live in your general area, and still drive down there at least once a week to shoot and/or hunt despite the 40 minute drive. Even though both Millvale and Northside are closer to me, PMSC was actually accepting members (both of the other clubs always seemed to have full waitlists), and it has a nice variety of facilities too.

The website isn't great because they've basically stopped maintaining it in favor of a third party member management platform. But it still has info on the rules and map and things like that.

As with EM, I can also offer a tour/guest pass, availability will mostly be on Sundays until the end of the month due to turkey season.

(Washington County)

http://www.washingtoncountyguns.com/range-details/

We will be accepting new members in June. If you are interested, send us an email to get on the waiting list. No sponsor required.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    http://www.washingtoncountyguns.com/range-details/

We will be accepting new members in June. If you are interested, send us an email to get on the waiting list. No sponsor required.
    What's the reason for discriminating against the non-AR's?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    We have designed this range for shooters that want to use their tactical rifles, handguns, and shotguns as they were meant to be shot in real-world applications with no limit on number of rounds in magazine or rate of fire, from rapid-fire AR shooting to quick-draw pistol shooting to rifle & pistol transition drills (move and shoot) using paper targets or bowling pins or even electronic targets capable of timing your shooting down to hundreds of a second.

I think that says it all. But it looks like you can use all rifles on their other range.

Place sounds great, wish it wasn't over 300 miles away.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    We have designed this range for shooters that want to use their tactical rifles, handguns, and shotguns as they were meant to be shot in real-world applications with no limit on number of rounds in magazine or rate of fire, from rapid-fire AR shooting to quick-draw pistol shooting to rifle & pistol transition drills (move and shoot) using paper targets or bowling pins or even electronic targets capable of timing your shooting down to hundreds of a second.

I think that says it all. But it looks like you can use all rifles on their other range.

Place sounds great, wish it wasn't over 300 miles away.
    Would an H&K 91 not constitute a tactical rifle? Or any number of other similar rifles?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Only 1 range is limited to AR-15's because that range was loosely based on the AR Certification Course and those particular steel targets can only handle 223/556. Our 50-yard, 100-yard, and 300-yard range don't have the AR limitation.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Butler County)

Rochester Sportsmen's Club right outside Cranberry Twp has 100/200/300yrd ranges. I'm going through the new member process now, I believe they're still accepting applications. Seems like a good group of guys, they're also throwing their first gun bash in September.

http://rochestersportsmen.com/

(Allegheny County)

Question Re: Looking for Over-200-Yard range within...

OK, so I settled on the PMSC to apply to...

I called the number online and left a message but have had no response. So, I filled out the online contact form and had...no response.

(I called a few days before I filled out the form, and I filled out the form on the 18th of July.)

So, last weekend I just drove on down there to talk to someone in person; the office was unoccupied, and there were major signs at the keyed gate that said "no trespassing" etc., and there was no easy-peasey squeeze-by at the fence. I'd have had to hop the gate, and I didn't want to do that as a prospective member new from out of state! I did have a good time talking to one of the locals (who was attending a social event at the banquet venue just outside the security gate) about Pittsburgh history, the steel mills, etc.

Is membership closed? Just from looking around, it seems to me, strictly off the cuff, that there may be more rifle shooters in the Western PA area than there are accommodations at outdoor ranges...no?

If someone on here could hook me up with a point of contact down there, that would be great! Thanks!!!

-Jabberwocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast