Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: AR - lubrication

Despite the retold reputation of the AR, it doesn’t need to be squeaky clean to run. It needs 4-5 drops of oil....any oil.....in each hole of the BCG and a few drops on the exposed side of the BCG every 400-500 rounds (or 13-16 mags). Give it a try. They’ll run like champs.

I’m not suggesting to not clean any firearm that’s gonna sit for a few months. I’m just saying that the level of care to keep an AR dependable isn’t as much as the rumors and tales suggest. Just my 2 cents.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by X-RAY View Post
    Despite the retold reputation of the AR, it doesn’t need to be squeaky clean to run. It needs 4-5 drops of oil....any oil.....in each hole of the BCG and a few drops on the exposed side of the BCG every 400-500 rounds (or 13-16 mags). Give it a try. They’ll run like champs.

I’m not suggesting to not clean any firearm that’s gonna sit for a few months. I’m just saying that the level of care to keep an AR dependable isn’t as much as the rumors and tales suggest. Just my 2 cents.
    Lubed is more important than clean

Too much oil holds grit and forms something similar to lapping compound. Heard from several Navy shooters (back in the early 80's) who spent lots of time in an area with fine windblown sand which got everywhere and stuck to those oily action parts and went against military doctrine (if it moves oil/grease it , if it sticks , apply MORE oil/grease!). They used aerosol Teflon mold release spray. It leaves a white Teflon coating. Of course , it's highly unlikely civilian weapons will be subject to these conditions. But it didn't hold the sand.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Too much oil holds grit and forms something similar to lapping compound. Heard from several Navy shooters (back in the early 80's) who spent lots of time in an area with fine windblown sand which got everywhere and stuck to those oily action parts and went against military doctrine (if it moves oil/grease it , if it sticks , apply MORE oil/grease!). They used aerosol Teflon mold release spray. It leaves a white Teflon coating. Of course , it's highly unlikely civilian weapons will be subject to these conditions. But it didn't hold the sand.
    Respectfully, this is an example of the rumors and tales that I mentioned. This may have been the belief of Navy shooters in the 80s, but if that’s the case, they were wrong. My only qualifications on the topic are my deployments to windy and sandy environments. Nobody was using Teflon or any other magic lube in their DI ARs. Just oil. If they stumbled on a lube that amazing 30 years ago, I can assure you it would be in widespread use today. Sand/dust/dirt got into our actions. They sounded horrible sometimes. The dust absorbed the oil and dried it out sometimes. But the fact of the matter is, lube in in the areas and manner that I mentioned will keep the gun running dependably for thousands and thousands of rounds. jthrelf is correct. Your magazines, worn springs or extractor will most likely fail before fouling causes failure on a properly lubed AR.

Regards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12