Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR rear sight/carry handle?

Quote Originally Posted by DerpSchnitzel View Post
    Alright, so I'm probably gonna end up with some kinda AR-15. I'm looking at the PSA PA-15 16'' Nitride M4 Carbine: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...rifle-fde.html

These come without any sort of rear sight, or at least one isn't pictured on their website. Some options I've seen as high as $200, which seems steep, for iron sights, anyway, but what do I know? I'm also probably a weirdo, but I actually like the carry handle. What's my cheapest option that isn't complete junk, carry handle or not?
    UTG has Super Slim front and rear fixed sights that aren't too expensive.

Also, I think you can get a basic M4 style carbine for less money from PSA by buying a complete upper and a complete lower.
    (something about a federal tax that they must pay on complete rifles sold that makes a complete rifle cost more than buying the identical thing as "two parts")

Example: Buy these two and pay $440

$140 (sometimes these come with free shipping, but not currently)
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...lth-lower.html

$300 (free shipping)
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...e-7779344.html
    Last edited by Emptymag; May 17th, 2020 at 12:26 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by WoollyPullover View Post
    What’s the weight difference? Magpul mbus sets seem to be dirt cheap a few weeks after every time I buy them.
    You're better off snapping a twig off a tree and sticking in one of the grooves on the top of the receiver than relying on those magpul flip up deals. They put them on factory guns because they have to put something on there.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Another vote for the PSA carry handle, its $69.00 with free shipping right now. They are quality made and the correct height. Most of the cheap $25-$40.00 ones are Chinese made and out of spec when using it with a standard A2 front sight post. I know this 1st hand.
    That's exactly the kinda thing I needed to know and wanted to avoid, thank you. There are all these sights, and with the pic rails they're fairly universal, but at the same time, different guns have different sights of different heights and all that. I could grab any random rear sight that fits the rails, but it needs to line up with the existing sight rail, or I gotta replace that too.

(Chester County)

If you buy an AR with an "F" front sight use the rear sight designed for "F" front sights. When it comes to sights or carry handles with sights you mostly get what you pay for. Buy cheap get cheap.

Mil-Spec height carry handle for flat top AR-15, M16A4, M4, M4A1 rifles and carbines. Compatible with taller F marked front sight bases.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/palm...ry-handle.html

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    You're better off snapping a twig off a tree and sticking in one of the grooves on the top of the receiver than relying on those magpul flip up deals. They put them on factory guns because they have to put something on there.
    They hold up to more than some metal ones will.

By the way what is the story on that damage at the rear takedown pin? Upper looks pierced.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Montgomery County)

PSA carry handle is your best bet, or the UTG slim sight or MBUS for cheaper options.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    They hold up to more than some metal ones will.

By the way what is the story on that damage at the rear takedown pin? Upper looks pierced.
    Oversupply of TW25b grease. I noticed it when taking the picture. Grease is good but I don't know how it got there. I do tend to be generous using grease. Slather is the word I'd use to describe the application of.
    Last edited by JenniferG; May 18th, 2020 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post

Honestly curious, is there a deliberate reason you have your carry handle mounted 1 slot further back than normal? Extra sight radius? Or artifact of hasty mounting for photos?
    I am not a lawyer.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    Honestly curious, is there a deliberate reason you have your carry handle mounted 1 slot further back than normal? Extra sight radius? Or artifact of hasty mounting for photos?
    Pictures were taken almost right out the box and installed the handle right out of the wrapper. I found the sight too far rearward and stray grease from that photo. I guess I'd better take some new pictures. Threw the Magpul flip up sight in a box of spare parts. Brownells was selling the DPMS handle but they were always out of stock so after doing proper research the PSA carry handle is the best one out there in my opinion.

I primarily go with iron sights or non powered optics just for the fact that they dont need batteries. I don't know how many times I have gone to the range with a red dot and the battery is dead. All glass rifles have BUIS. I like the grab handles, I have 2-3 rifles with them. They look exactly like Jens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast