Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Im New but Interested in 3 gun HELP

To start my main question is when it comes to pistols how important is sight radius really my hand gun options are Glock 17 (6.49" sight radius) Glock 34 ( 7.5" SR) Sig X-5 (6.8" SR) or custom built Sig P320 Full size( 6.6" SR) I feel better shooting Sigs but a Polymer 80 frame for the 17/34 and new sights should fix my glock issues.

Secondly, For the Ar platform I saw minimum caliper of .223 are people actually shooting that over .556 in comp or will I get weird looks I mean the zero recoil factor may be huge but I have zero experience with rifles only handguns which I was told I am very proficient with by my instructors (humble brag haha).

Lastly, class recommendations would be appreciated.
    P.s. I believe the shotgun I will go with will be a Stoeger M3K with a tube extension.

Thank you in advance for your time and advice/help.

Default Re: Im New but Interested in 3 gun HELP

Any of the handguns that you have listed will suffice, unaltered. Just make sure that you have a secure holster and mag pouches.

.223 and 5.56 are just two different ways of expressing the bullet diameter of the most common caliber for an AR15. The .223 is the dimension in inches and 5.56 is the same dimension in millimeters. Although depending on how the rifle is chambered you shouln'd use .223 and 5.56 interchangeably (unless you have a Wylde chamber).

Easton Fish & Game Association runs 3-gun matches. You should be able to find info on their website.

If you've never shot competition before, you may want to ease into it. Maybe try some handgun competition first, like IDPA or USPSA. The match director for 3-gun at EFGA also runs IDPA matches at Phillipsburg. At this point, from your post, you are better equipped for a handgun discipline than for 3-gun.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

I am not that good at 3gun but I have been doing it a while.

You are not wrong to ask about pistol choices but at the end of the day you will do best with whatever high-cap pistol you shoot best.

I would not want a mag capacity less than 15 rounds and a lot of shooters are using 20-round mags.

I use bulk 5.56 for short stages and match ammo for the long shots. My scope is set for the match ammo on long shots because at most short distances its not off enough to matter.

I recommend getting some 20-round mags for the match ammo. It helps me keep it separate even if I need to mix ammo during a stage (very rare).

Most shooters are using LPVOs (low power optics) in the 1-4 range at a minimum. I would recommend you consider 1-6 because the targets are getting smaller.

M3k is a good choice. You need to spend on shotgun shell caddies to be even remotely competitive.

Your success will have more to do with your level, quality and quantity of practice, than most other factors.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TylerTurner922 View Post
    To start my main question is when it comes to pistols how important is sight radius really my hand gun options are Glock 17 (6.49" sight radius) Glock 34 ( 7.5" SR) Sig X-5 (6.8" SR) or custom built Sig P320 Full size( 6.6" SR) I feel better shooting Sigs but a Polymer 80 frame for the 17/34 and new sights should fix my glock issues.

Secondly, For the Ar platform I saw minimum caliper of .223 are people actually shooting that over .556 in comp or will I get weird looks I mean the zero recoil factor may be huge but I have zero experience with rifles only handguns which I was told I am very proficient with by my instructors (humble brag haha).

Lastly, class recommendations would be appreciated.
    P.s. I believe the shotgun I will go with will be a Stoeger M3K with a tube extension.

Thank you in advance for your time and advice/help.
    https://forums.brianenos.com/

This is a great resource for 3 gun.

I don't do it personally, but that forum was invaluable when it came to modding my M3k out. My M3k Freedom series pistol grip, that is, lol

Lots of great posts, threads, and very helpful people.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

3 gun matches that used to be held at Heidelburg and Tulpehocken were great 3gun matches for beginners.

I agree that its a good idea to start out in a pistol discipline, especially USPSA.

USPSA and 3gun rules and stage design have a lot more commonality than IDPA and 3gun.

PCC matches can be a good way to ease into 3gun also, but will sidetrack you on getting the 3gun gear you need.

(Luzerne County)

What shooting ranges do you guys that train for these events shoot at? I'm in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area, and I'm looking for a range. I'd also like to find some instruction/training courses in the area if anyone has any tips.

Quote Originally Posted by TFP View Post
    What shooting ranges do you guys that train for these events shoot at? I'm in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area, and I'm looking for a range. I'd also like to find some instruction/training courses in the area if anyone has any tips.
    You are going to have to join a private club. No public range can afford to allow it.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    You are going to have to join a private club. No public range can afford to allow it.
    Understood. More to the point, I was hoping to find recommendations for those ranges that are familiar and friendly to competitive shooting/training, 3 gun, etc. There are a LOT of private facilities, so any help narrowing it down for this area would be great. I've done a fair amount of searching and many of the ranges I've found seem to be more traditional in their scope.

(Lackawanna County)

Fsctoryville sportsmen club
    Wilkes barre rifle and pistol club.

I used to shoot a G17. I switched to a G34 just because all the cool kids shot them and they are supposed to be better for competition. I don't think it made any difference at all. Better sights, trigger and hand loading my ammo was way more effective than the difference in barrel length. Just remember, you can't buy skill. Get something you like that's reliable and has good ergonomics and spend most of your money on ammo and training.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast