Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Quickclot Expiration date on package

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I just rotate them out to a bin of exp but possibly still useful stuff in the basement. In an ohh shit situation it might be better then nothing. Just make sure it’s far away from your Med kit or everyday stuff.
    Thats actually not a bad idea.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    They aren't that expensive compared to the kther gun-related stuff we buy. Replace them every couple of years. Also, replace them if you see that the package has become damaged and the outer plastic coating perforated.

The reason for this is because QuikClot is coated with kaolin, a type of clay. (Yeah, really! You're packing a wound with mud.). Clay has a.very strong affinity for moisture. Any holes will allow it to absorb humidity, decreasing its ability to absorb blood/start the clotting cascade. At that point, you're better off with just a plain roller gauze. If you carry and crush your med kit frequently under gear, check the wrapper frequently.

And don't forget to pack a bunch of 3" roller gauze. You can wound pack almost as effectively as with hemostatics, just not quite as fast. Roller gauze is the unsung, Swiss Army knife of the med kit that is grossly underappreciated.
    ^^This!

Kaolin is also used in a lot of meds to help with diarrhea so in a pinch, you might be able to chew on some of the gauze to stop the shits! Just kidding! But the packet should be tossed if there are any tears or any sort of punctures. Now this product works GREAT but another good one is Celox. This is made of a material found in the shells of shrimp and is a fantastic anticoagulant, I have trained with both and recommend both. Check out Rescue Essentials or North American Rescue for some of this stuff. I will also echo what sandcut is saying about roller gauze, but I will also add to that list some triangular bandages and some of the smaller abdominal pads.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Konsukah_19 View Post
    ^^This!

Kaolin is also used in a lot of meds to help with diarrhea so in a pinch, you might be able to chew on some of the gauze to stop the shits! Just kidding! But the packet should be tossed if there are any tears or any sort of punctures. Now this product works GREAT but another good one is Celox. This is made of a material found in the shells of shrimp and is a fantastic anticoagulant, I have trained with both and recommend both. Check out Rescue Essentials or North American Rescue for some of this stuff. I will also echo what sandcut is saying about roller gauze, but I will also add to that list some triangular bandages and some of the smaller abdominal pads.
    Yep! The gauze would very likely bind up your loose bowels!

And +1 on the cravats and abdominal pads. But, I didn't want to be overly elaborate here. Folks need to take one of my WRFA classes to really hear me blather!
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

I'd add that North American Rescue has been sending out e-mails on sales for this month as May is "stop the bleed month". So a good time to refresh supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Konsukah_19 View Post
    ^^This!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12