Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quickclot Expiration date on package

I just ordered a bunch of these to replace outdated ones buecause I have a lot which expired in 2015. Anyone know if you can use these past the expiration date?

I probably know the answer but don't want to throw them away just yet.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Default Re: Quickclot Expiration date on package

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    I just ordered a bunch of these to replace outdated ones buecause I have a lot which expired in 2015. Anyone know if you can use these past the expiration date?

If it expired in 2015, get rid of it. It's likely the old formula which contained zeolite, which was known to cause burns. The new formula from 2015 to present is made with kaolin and no longer has that effect.

Quikclot probably doesn't go bad, per se, just loses effectiveness over time. I refresh my supply every couple of years, but I keep the old stuff to use on minor wounds. So far it's always worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    If it expired in 2015, get rid of it. It's likely the old formula which contained zeolite, which was known to cause burns. The new formula from 2015 to present is made with kaolin and no longer has that effect.

Quikclot probably doesn't go bad, per se, just loses effectiveness over time. I refresh my supply every couple of years, but I keep the old stuff to use on minor wounds. So far it's always worked.
    Thanks. Kind of what I thought but I am cheap.....err, parsimonious. That sounds much better.

Bought 3 new Quikclots and will probably add a few more.

(Wayne County)

They aren't that expensive compared to the kther gun-related stuff we buy. Replace them every couple of years. Also, replace them if you see that the package has become damaged and the outer plastic coating perforated.

The reason for this is because QuikClot is coated with kaolin, a type of clay. (Yeah, really! You're packing a wound with mud.). Clay has a.very strong affinity for moisture. Any holes will allow it to absorb humidity, decreasing its ability to absorb blood/start the clotting cascade. At that point, you're better off with just a plain roller gauze. If you carry and crush your med kit frequently under gear, check the wrapper frequently.

And don't forget to pack a bunch of 3" roller gauze. You can wound pack almost as effectively as with hemostatics, just not quite as fast. Roller gauze is the unsung, Swiss Army knife of the med kit that is grossly underappreciated.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Liked the old Quikclot packages much more than the newer ones. Aluminum which could not be pierced vs a paper like package which does not appear very durable.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post

I just rotate them out to a bin of exp but possibly still useful stuff in the basement. In an ohh shit situation it might be better then nothing. Just make sure it’s far away from your Med kit or everyday stuff.

(Montgomery County)

Can anyone tell me if it's a problem leaving Quickclot in a vehicle to heat and freeze constantly in the weather?
    I also have some that was left outside in a bag for 3 years, but the package is still in remarkably good condition considering.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

Does this apply to the gauze only or the old granular stuff also?

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Can anyone tell me if it's a problem leaving Quickclot in a vehicle to heat and freeze constantly in the weather?
    I also have some that was left outside in a bag for 3 years, but the package is still in remarkably good condition considering.
    Heating/freezig zhouldn't affect the gauze Bern. It's just cotton and anhydrous clay. Nothing there to be acted on by heat/cold as long as the package is intact.

Still, just like fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, carry ammo, it's better to swap out before it reaches end-of-life just to be safe. Some things you don't want to have to "hope" that they are still in good enough shape to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Are you talking about the burns or the effectiveness?

If burns, all QuikClot is now kaolin and will not cause burns. (FYI, IIRC, the original was only known to have caused burns in three cases, so it isn't as if it was frequent).

If you currently carry the powder form, I would recommend that you shit-can it and get QuikClot Z gauze. The powder is good for stuff like shaving cuts on people on blood thinners, not on deep wounds and arterial bleeds. It makes a shallow clot, but doesn't stop the bleed at the interior source. You need wound packing and direct pressure at the point of the vascular damage.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post

Any Quikclot product made before 2015 used zeolite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast