Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default First suppressor purchase: school me

Hey all, I’m looking at getting a suppressor in the next few months. I’d like to eventually have a few. I currently have 9mm, .45, .22lr, .22 mag, .223/556. Suppressor hosts. Debating on wether or not I should buy a solid .45 can and run it on everything or buy a dedicated 5.56 can and run it on the ar’s and the .22 stuff. I’m leaning towards the .223/5.56 can as that’s what I shoot most. Also the benefit of a .22 can when I bring new shooters out for the first time is appealing.

What would y’all do? Any recommendations for a decent can under 600-700 bucks? I’m gonna run in on a franklin binary AR at times.

Ps. I have no clue about suppressor stuff so any info would be great.

Default Re: First suppressor purchase: school me

To my limited knowledge a suppressed 5.56 or 223 rifle isn’t going to be hearing safe unless your loading subsonic loads yourself and a 223 can on a 22lr won’t be as quiet as a dedicated 22lr can.

Personally I would go .45 acp so I could use it with the pistols and pcc’s and get the full potential out of a suppressor since I don’t load 5.56 and have never seen sub sonic loads offered I’m guessing it’s not really a thing.

I’m sure others with more experience will have better info.

Just my .02
    Last edited by Hodgie; May 12th, 2020 at 09:52 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    To my limited knowledge a suppressed 5.56 or 223 rifle isn’t going to be hearing safe unless your loading subsonic loads yourself and a 223 can on a 22lr won’t be as quiet as a dedicated 22lr can.

Personally I would go .45 acp so I could use it with the pistols and pcc’s and get the full potential out of a suppressor since I don’t load 5.56 and have never seen sub sonic loads offered I’m guessing it’s not really a thing.

I’m sure others with more experience will have better info.

Just my .02
    I was referring to my .22 pistols/rifles for first timers. 10/22, .22 1911, .22 ar that sort of stuff. I generally run people on the .22 variant of what they’re interested in before the real thing to get the basics down and get them comfortable. Would be nice to not have to yell at people with ear pro on all the time
    Last edited by 300zx_tt; May 12th, 2020 at 10:28 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Well, you've already done a good deal of thought that should narrow down the process. You already realize that there is no one multi-cal can and you know you will need at least two, and probably three cans to cover what you shoot now plus what you might have later. Since you plan on the binary trigger, check to see any can you look at is full-auto rated. That will easily handle any binary trigger firing rate.

If .223/5.56 is what you shoot most, then the decision would be easy for me. I'd get the dedicated .223 can. As you have found, the big difference between cans is pistol caliber vs. rifle caliber due to velocity. Some pistol cans are able to handle rifle calibers, but mainly if the ballistics are subsonic. I have a Rugged Obsidian 45 that i run on a Sig MPX-k 9mm, but it can also handle 300blk but only the subsonic loads. It is not rated for the .223/5.56.

My path was to start with a .22 can since it was by far the cheapest alternative, and i did not know how I was going to like the long wait and all the things you need to do to purchase. I found a dealer on this site, CDS Arms over on my side of the state, that was selling a basically new .22 Gemtech from an estate. The total including the tax stamp ended up being just over $400 total. So i figured what the heck. Got it, put it on a 10/22, and it was so much fun to shoot it was addictive.

I spent a while looking for the next can, but it wasn't until I bought an MPX that I thought it would be time for another can. I was planning on suppressing a Remingon 700 SPS Tactical 300blk bolt gun, but along the way came the MPX. I had settled on a 9mm can, but at the end of 2018 the model I wanted was sold out everywhere due to a manufacturer's promotion, so I kept researching on line and found the Rugged Obsidian 45. I have mostly pistols, so a pistol caliber can was better for me as a second can; it covers 45, 40, 9mm and 300blk subs.

I am planning on a rifle caliber can, probably the Yankee Hill Resonator 2 so I can suppress a 6.5 Creedmore and 300blk of all loads.

There are other things to consider as well, including direct thread or using muzzle devices like a three-lug mount for easy movement from gun to gun; how the gun is constructed for disassembly and cleaning; what material the baffles are made of, ability to use ultrasonic cleaners or not on certain parts, different mounts and end plates for maximizing sound reduction, overall length and weight. Not sure if you like to use spreadsheets for organization and analysis, but I found it helpful to compare weight, dimensions, price and features across a spreadsheet since there are so many factors. I mean, it doesn't need to be this complicated, but the information is there to help make a decision, so I used it.

Then there is the hurry up and wait process. As frustrating as PA can be in a lot of things, at least we can legally own them. The hardest part of the application process, at least in my area, was finding a place to do fingerprinting that didn't charge an arm and a leg. I really now prefer the digital process, as long as they don't rape you for set two or more of your prints.
    Process to purchase is pretty straightforward, especially if its in person and not online. Online will require shipment of the Class III device to a dealer in your state to handle the background checks and all paperwork.
    1. Go to a retailer that has what you want
    2. Pay for the suppressor in full
    3. Fill out the Form 4 paperwork at the dealer
    4. Dealer will give you instructions or a packet of info on what you need to provide to submit the Form 4 (you can obtain all of these things before you buy your suppressor so you can submit on day of purchase)
    5. Obtain (2) sets of fingerprint cards to the FBI card standard
    6. Provide (2 sets/4 total) passport sized photos
    7. Provide payment for $200 Tax stamp (Can pay by check, CC or Money Order) * I always used Money Order since I never knew when they might present the check against the bank account for payment, and i usually only transfer funds into checking for bill payment and I did not want to risk a returned check - that starts the whole process over. No matter how long you had already waited
    8. Send a notification letter to your Chief LEO in your jurisdiction (mine was my Municipal Chief of Police) letting them know that you have submitted the form to obtain a Class III item. It should include the type and serial number of the device. You list your CLEO contact info on the Form 4, so I believe that they will get a notification during the process, but I send the letter to cover my bases.
    9. WAIT The dealer submits your Form 4 and payment to the BATFE; BATFE enters your info into their system and cashes your tax stamp check; BATFE transfers request to FBI for them to complete the multi-jurisdictional background check for approval. FBI can take months.
    10. Your dealer calls and tells you your stamp and paperwork is back; go pick it up and have fun.

If you haven’t already seen this it’s worth watching.

Another good much shorter video by a NEPA guy.

Last edited by Hodgie; May 12th, 2020 at 10:37 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

As far as good values, the Yankee Hill Resonator will run around $650 for the can; my Rugged Obsidian 45 was $679; my Sig SRD45 was a Gander closing sale from $700 to $270; my Gemtech .22 was $200 (used) and I have a Silencerco .22 that I won at a gun bash, usually retails in the mid 300's when I got it.

When I got my Obsidian, they were running a special incentive that came with an extra direct thread mount; a three-lug mount and a fixed-barrel spacer as an online registration special. Each extra mount is roughly $80 and the fixed barrel spacer is 40-50. The fixed barrel spacer is used on pistol caliber suppressors when you mount the can on a non-moving barrel (like a rifle or pcc) instead of a semi-auto pistol with a tilting barrel. The tilting barrel needs a spring included in the mount to basically balance the weight of the suppressor hanging off the front of the barrel or the semi-auto cycling of the pistol would fail. You don't need that with a solid barrel, so the spacer is used instead. Anyway, it was like over $320 of extras for free, made it even more of a no-brainer.

there are a lot of good suppressors on the market; I would be more worried that some of the makers will not survive the competition. That was one reason my second 45 can was a Sig. Well, that and I bought it when Gander Outdoors was closing and got it for $270 new (plus stamp).

(Lackawanna County)

You’ll ideally want three cans. Rifle caliber pistol caliber and dedicated 22. 22 is so dirty it’s not even funny.

That would cover all your bases because once you shoot suppressed you’ll want to shoot everything that way.

I’ve got a 30 cal can and a 5.56 can. With supers neither are what I’d consider hearing safe. You can get away with it but I won’t do it. I’d find what you’re going to shoot most and go from there. Yankee hill is a great value can.
    Dead air, silencerco rugged and q are some of the top tier stuff

(Lackawanna County)

Forgot to add silencer shop is the easiest way to get into this game by far. Their kiosk was a game changer once prints and photo became required for all purchases

(Allegheny County)

Silencer Shop definitely makes it stupid easy once you get in their system. Not only with suppressors, but they have fired up their Form 1 service recently in a couple of small batches.

Idk what your financial situation is, but I'd suggest getting multiple dedicated cans. After having my first suppressor (Osprey 45) for a little over a year, I said screw it and ordered a 223/556, 30cal, and 22 all at once to cover all my basis. At the time I didn't even have a host for the 30cal or 22, but I knew that I would have a year to get that situation sorted out. Those 3 haven't even been released from jail yet, and I'm toying with the idea of getting another.

(Berks County)

I think I've only ever seen one 'factory' 5.56/.223 subsonic load that would cycle in a semi-auto and it was like $1.25/round. Worth considering. Supersonic is not hearing safe suppressed. If you're not talking semi, fine. But if you are, I'm not sure I see the point of suppressing 5.56.

I disagree a little with needing 3 different cans. If you know what you want to accomplish, two can work, and you might 'get by' with one. As mentioned, there are some 'multi' suppressors out there and you need to check the specs. I can see the point of wanting a .22 rimfire can as well, buy you can still use others for rimfire (again, check ratings.) You can always fire a smaller bullet through a bigger hole, but firing a big bullet through a smaller hole might ruin your day.

People get hung up on the 'quieter' caliber dedicated can. I challenge anyone to differentiate a 1-2 db sound difference. That's about what you 'lose' using a .45 can used on 9mm. Ig et that there are some differences that you may hear, but if you're just looking for hearing safe...

Maybe figure on your largest caliber and go there first, looking for ratings to see if you can use it for your smaller calibers. At least then you have something that you can use on everything right away. The you can get others later if you want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast