Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: First suppressor purchase: school me

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Forgot to add silencer shop is the easiest way to get into this game by far. Their kiosk was a game changer once prints and photo became required for all purchases
    Can you do your photos and fingerprints for a trust (two people) at their kiosks or is it just for personal filiers?

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Forgot to add silencer shop is the easiest way to get into this game by far. Their kiosk was a game changer once prints and photo became required for all purchases
    Shit I just found out the private dealier I do my Transfers through is listed as one of their kiosk.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    Can you do your photos and fingerprints for a trust (two people) at their kiosks or is it just for personal filiers?
    You should be able to do all the prints/photos for the RP's (Responsible Persons) on the trust at the kiosk.

Nothing wrong with using the Silencer Shop kiosk to do the prints and photos but do be aware that even being done at your local FFL/SOT all your information, including prints, is stored on Silencer Shops computers/servers. How well are the computers/servers protected from hackers - I do not know.

There are many FFL/SOT's who do a lot of NFA business who have their own digital print and photo set ups to make it easier to get everything done at one place without running all over town and trying to find. You'd have to check with your FFL/SOT.

I agree on having at least two, one for .22's because they are so dirty that you want one that will disassemble so you can clean it periodically and one for centerfire. For the centerfire one, get the one that fits your largest caliber, you can tehn use it for the smaller calibers and as said, most people will not hear the couple of db difference. Also, many of the larger suppressors can have the front cap removed and a cap with a smaller diameter hole installed to help the suppression.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; May 12th, 2020 at 04:13 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Washington County)

If I were to do it again I would be fine with a:

1. A .22 can without aluminum to make it easy to clean in an ultra sonic cleaner. .22 cans are usually worth having by themselves. Being smaller and lighter keeps your .22 host feeling smaller and lighter, plus this can needs cleaning somewhat regularly, where as my center fire rifle and pistol cans do not.

2. A direct thread center fire pistol can for your largest caliber with modularity to adjust the length. Sometimes you don’t want a long pistol can and sometimes you do.

3. A center fire rifle can for your largest caliber with QD mount system for your rifles.

Having more cans is cool, but I don’t need as many as I have, and I could get by fine with just those 3.

(Bucks County)

Here's my nuggets:

Absolutely proceed - there's nothing like shooting suppressed on a platform that works with it. When I shoot 300 blackout 9mm subsonic rounds, it's giggle-worthy!

Having said that, the NFA game requires two very important pieces, and I'll put them in priority order:

1. Patience
    2. Money
    3. More Patience
    4. Did I mention Patience?

Ok, so that was 4 things.

$600-700 before the $200 tax stamp might be a little limited for anything that's not a .22LR can in my opinion, and if you're trying to do total cost, definitely low. Depending on the phase of the moon, getting your first can can be a long wait. It's not particularly hard, especially if you go the SilencerShop route and a kiosk, but I'm in the process of looking at purchasing my third suppressor even though I'm still waiting on my second purchase from 10 months ago! My first one took 13 months.

With the wait and added $200 tax stamp, I'd try and raise your budget and get a good quality suppressor. I'm in the Griffin ecosystem and they're pretty decent, but there's lots of options out there. (I have a Griffin Armament Optimus 9 and 10 months into a Revolution 45 Mod 3 waiting period)
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Montgomery County)

So a quick bit of research and I’ve come to the conclusion I might be better off with a .30 caliber can since I plan on moving into the 300blk world and I plan to start reloading once we build a garage. A .223/5.56 through a .30 cal still works pretty damn well based on the info out there. I don’t really hunt so I don’t have any bigger rifles I’d want to suppress, yet. But when I do eventually get there I can just buy another can.

As far as the the budget. I’m fairly confident I can find something in that 6-700 dollar range. The question is if I spend an extra $200 bucks will It be worth it?

(York County)

Cool Re: First suppressor purchase: school me

As far as I'm concerned, the extra money is well worth it.

The first choice of what kind of materials is the suppressor going to be made out of.
    Aluminum is light and cheap.
    Titanium is as light as aluminum, but is both stronger and more pricy.

Next: Is the Can a monocore or is it a baffle stack?
    Baffle stacks are easier to clean than monocores.
    This is important for Rimfire suppressors.
    It's also been my personal observation that baffle stacks are usually free from what is know as First Round Pop: The first round out of many suppressors is often louder than any follow-up shot.

Solvents that can be used on Titanium and stainless steel cannot be used on aluminum. The most famous solution is called The Dip. You should look that up for yourself. Handle with care.

The best reason you should be prepared to spend the extra money is because whatever suppressor you buy will stay with you for the rest of your life.
    Get the best suppressor you can get. Shop around like crazy. Spend as much time shopping around as you will probably be spending waiting to be APPROVED. Look around, ask both intelligent and no-so intelligent questions.

Remember: You will be probably be married to the can. Select carefully.

(Beaver County)

I am absolutely fine with multi cal cans. I own 3. A dedicated 22 can, one 45 caliber can that handle all my pistols, and one 45 caliber rifle can that can handle all my rifles. Cost was 299, 699, and 899. Respectively.

And my ears are not good enough to tell the difference of a 9mm shot in a 45 can.

But suppressed 45/70 is just a riot.

I will also note that my 6.5 Grendel with a 24" barrel is plenty quiet to shoot all day suppressed with full house loads.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; May 13th, 2020 at 12:46 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    I am absolutely fine with multi cal cans. I own 3. A dedicated 22 can, one 45 caliber can that handle all my pistols, and one 45 caliber rifle can that can handle all my rifles. Cost was 299, 699, and 899. Respectively.

And my ears are not good enough to tell the difference of a 9mm shot in a 45 can.

But suppressed 45/70 is just a riot.

I will also note that my 6.5 Grendel with a 24" barrel is plenty quiet to shoot all day suppressed with full house loads.
    Agree 100%. I'd wager 1 in 1000 could differentiate a 1-2db change in an A/B test.

(Montgomery County)

Well after all the corona bullshit I finally ordered my dead air sandman s for my rifles, I’ve acquired a few more long gun hosts which swayed my decision towards a .30 can. I also ordered an aac .22 can for my .22 stuff. I figured I’d hold off on a handgun caliber can until I can justify $900-$1200 for one. $1650 was enough in one go for me. I’ll see how the process goes and maybe pick up another down the road.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast