Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default H&K USP Compact 9

Any love on the USP compact out there? I am considering a used one, but also like the P2K. Owners?

Default Re: H&K USP Compact 9

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Any love on the USP compact out there? I am considering a used one, but also like the P2K. Owners?
    I used to own a USP Compact in .40 S&W. It was OK. The sights were meh, the trigger about the same. I thought I'd like it more than I did, but it just wasn't for me. I traded it for a Sig P239 in .40.

(Berks County)

I have one, haven't shot it a lot but it has been 100% when I have used it. It carries fine and I like it. But I haven't shot a lot of stuff to compare it to either.

ETA: After reading Ronin's report, I would like to change the hammer spring, D/A is a little stiff.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

P2000 is the updated version of the USP. Other than the looks I don’t think there’s much difference but I am no expert. I don’t think you could go wrong with a USP unless you hate where the mad release is but that’s just training. Good guns so sure but don’t expect it to be a Glock or M&P it’s a little chunky and thick and hold a few less rounds. Still all in all a very good gun

(Allegheny County)

I have a USP Compact in 9mm and Stainless. I don't think they're as good as the full size USP, but I still like them. The USP triggers are significantly better than the P2000 and P30 (used to own a P30SK), with the exception of maybe DA. The takeup is shorter, the break is crisper, the reset is much shorter and more noticeable. P2000 and P30 might have a slightly smoother DA, but doesn't make up for the much better SA of the USP.

I do like the location of the decocker more on the P2000. It's on the rear of the slide to the left of the hammer. It's out of the way, and eliminates the lever on the side, slimming things down. But again, I much prefer the trigger (and grip) of the USP Compact.

Consider trying a USP Compact in the LEM trigger. That's what my USP Compact 9mm is, and it was one of my carry guns before I got pudgier (hey, I'm working on that).... Here's a size comparison with the now sold P30SK and my other carry gun Walther PPS M.2 9mm. For me, the P30SK did not bring much more compactness to the table.

Here's a comparison with a bunch of other HKs if you want to see how they compare next to full size USPs or a P7...

(Bucks County)

There's HK fans, and then there's HK USP fans! I'm the former and not the latter. The only HK I ever sold was a Stainless USP 45 full-size. Didn't like how it felt or shot (it was DA/SA). Surprisingly, I love the Mark 23 which some argue is similar, but not in my experience. Ultimately, you need to shoot one yourself to see if you like it over the P2000 or the other way around. For me, the P2000 is my "most common carried" by far, even given the selection at my disposal. The top right is my P2000 9mm v1 LEM.

My HK family picture:
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful.