Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default H&K VP9SK Magazine

I just picked up a VP9SK, overall I like it a lot. The only gripe I can think of is the magazine. When I put the mag next to a Hellcat magazine, they are almost exactly the same size, both double stack - yet the hellcat mag holds 13 rounds and the H&K only holds 10 rounds. It also looks like the H&K magazine is only using like 2/3 of the magazine’s capacity. The 10 round hole in the back of the mag is not anywhere near the bottom of the mag. I’ve seen 13 and 15 round extended mags for sale but they all stick out the bottom more than I want. Is there a spring kit or something you can order for the stock magazine to get more capacity out of it, or is there a magazine that anyone knows of that is the same size as the stock mag that holds a few extra rounds? It just doesn’t seem to me like it needs to have the extra length on the magazine when the H&K mag is already as long as the hellcat 13 round mag or even larger than my 365 12 round mag.

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: H&K VP9SK Magazine

HK generally has never been great on having competitive capacity (except for say the VP70). Most people say it's because they prioritize reliability over capacity. Whether you believe that is up to you.

I don't believe there is anything right now, but do keep your eyes open. The VP9 was recently upgraded to 17 rounds from 15 with just a follower, spring, and baseplate change from the factory. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for everything else, just depends on how long it takes them. In the mean time, you can use 13 round P2000/USP Compact magazines, but they'll be longer.

(Lehigh County)

HK makes a 13 round mag for the P30sk/VP9sk that is just a touch longer than stock but does have a baseplate that matches the grip profile of the VP9sk. I have one for mine and it has been 100% reliable.

It would be nice to have 15 rounds in the same footprint and maybe we will get a new follower, baseplate, spring kit eventually but I certainly don't feel undergunned with 13+1.

(Bucks County)

I have a P2000SK 9mm v1 LEM which is the same capacity. Sure, it's a little "low" for the form factor, but for me the advantages of having it outweigh the extra rounds. I've considered a P365 or Hellcat as a BUG, but my current "ultra-small" BUG is a Ruger LC9s Pro at just around 0.9" wide.

Having said that, I also generally carry 2 backup mags and more often the P2000 which is a 13+1, so that gives me 40 rounds with 2 extra mags.

The nice thing about most HKs is that the larger mags work in the smaller guns - they just stick out a bit. I can put my 13 round or 15 or even 20 round mags in my P2000SK.

In winter, I can even hide a P30L which is 15+1 and 2 spare 20-round magazines, but that's crazy talk, right?
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by djeuch View Post
    I have a P2000SK 9mm v1 LEM which is the same capacity. Sure, it's a little "low" for the form factor, but for me the advantages of having it outweigh the extra rounds. I've considered a P365 or Hellcat as a BUG, but my current "ultra-small" BUG is a Ruger LC9s Pro at just around 0.9" wide.

Having said that, I also generally carry 2 backup mags and more often the P2000 which is a 13+1, so that gives me 40 rounds with 2 extra mags.

The nice thing about most HKs is that the larger mags work in the smaller guns - they just stick out a bit. I can put my 13 round or 15 or even 20 round mags in my P2000SK.

In winter, I can even hide a P30L which is 15+1 and 2 spare 20-round magazines, but that's crazy talk, right?
    The mag reason is why I have a P30, USPC and VPSK all in 9mm...