Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: PAFOA/PMSC Group Shoot #3 of 5 (2020) - June 20, 2020 (Near Pgh)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    Just look for the two white guys with hand held artillery and the smell of bacon.
    Oh c'mon, there's usually at least 3 white guys present ...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    I am joking. I do like the meal team 6. I am a member.
    If I ever wore tactical gear, I'd be one too!

(Allegheny County)

BACON BUMP!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I set up the steel range early prior to the shoot. If you are certain you'll be there I can leave you some space but I've been no showed before and it only delays the shoot.

While we're on the subject of steel I'll repost the rules. If you'd like to shoot the steel it is limited to non magnum handgun calibers only. 9mm carbines are okay. No shotguns. Lead or jacketed lead only. No ammo that a magnet will stick to is allowed. If you're not sure about any of this please ask. I am happy to provide theses targets for your enjoyment. This is the 5th year we've been using them and under the rules established above they have held up quite well.
    No shotguns? I'm curious what your experience with shotguns on steel has been because I've found that a few magazines of birdshot at the end of a day of shooting make repainting the steel WAY easier. Steel shot, slugs, even some buckshot though ... very different story. If I end up coming, I don't really care what people shoot at my steel but I'll probably set up in bay 15 if it's available. I've got a few 3/8" thick 12x20 silhouettes, a pair of 1/2" thick 6", 8", and 10" plates, three 3/8" thick 12" gongs, and a 3/8" 11x13" rectangle. Steel 7.62x39's jacket actually seems to do more damage to the stand than the steel that it hits. I had to replace a few of my stand's legs after 200 rounds of that a few weeks ago.

I made these clay stands this week so I don't have to climb the hillside to set them up, put new clays in them, and then go around and collect them when I finish. They're intended to be for pistol and rifle though. I try to keep my shotgun clays further apart than this so my dedicated shotgun clay holders are sitting in 6" high 4x4 wooden block with holes drilled in the middle.

(Allegheny County)

The no shotguns on steel rule must be pennlineman's rule for his steel.

At PMSC you are permitted to shoot steel with shotguns (#7, #8, #9 lead shot) at a min of 7 Yards. You can shoot AR500 1/2" steel with lead core/non-steel jacket rifles at a min of 100 yards (I believe is the safe recommended distance).

At old group shoots, when we had access to the clubs steel, we would often set up shotgun COF at one of the bays. One year we set up steel poppers that when knocked down with a shotgun would flip a clay in the air (about 10 ft.) to shoot on you second shot.

I didn't read the whole thread, but as far as I know all group activities were cancelled at PMSC. I haven't seen a official update from PMSC since we went green. EM have you verified this GS with Dan? If it was OK'd, what are the specific social distancing and mask requirements?

I may stop up for this shoot. It's been a while since I had bacon.
    Last edited by Hawk; June 13th, 2020 at 05:34 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    No shotguns? I'm curious what your experience with shotguns on steel has been because I've found that a few magazines of birdshot at the end of a day of shooting make repainting the steel WAY easier. Steel shot, slugs, even some buckshot though ... very different story. If I end up coming, I don't really care what people shoot at my steel but I'll probably set up in bay 15 if it's available. I've got a few 3/8" thick 12x20 silhouettes, a pair of 1/2" thick 6", 8", and 10" plates, three 3/8" thick 12" gongs, and a 3/8" 11x13" rectangle. Steel 7.62x39's jacket actually seems to do more damage to the stand than the steel that it hits. I had to replace a few of my stand's legs after 200 rounds of that a few weeks ago.

I made these clay stands this week so I don't have to climb the hillside to set them up, put new clays in them, and then go around and collect them when I finish. They're intended to be for pistol and rifle though. I try to keep my shotgun clays further apart than this so my dedicated shotgun clay holders are sitting in 6" high 4x4 wooden block with holes drilled in the middle.

My experience is that people blow the fuck out of the target stands. No shotguns on steel at these shoots period. What's your experience with shotguns? Have you had anymore hit the ground lately?
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The no shotguns on steel rule must be pennlineman's rule for his steel.

At PMSC you are permitted to shoot steel with shotguns (#7, #8, #9 lead shot) at a min of 7 Yards. You can shoot AR500 1/2" steel with lead core/non-steel jacket rifles at a min of 100 yards (I believe is the safe recommended distance).

At old group shoots, when we had access to the clubs steel, we would often set up shotgun COF at one of the bays. One year we set up steel poppers that when knocked down with a shotgun would flip a clay in the air (about 10 ft.) to shoot on you second shot.

I didn't read the whole thread, but as far as I know all group activities were cancelled at PMSC. I haven't seen a official update from PMSC since we went green. EM have you verified this GS with Dan? If it was OK'd, what are the specific social distancing and mask requirements?

I may stop up for this shoot. It's been a while since I had bacon.
    We'll be wearing masks when we're not eating bacon, which is never.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    My experience is that people blow the fuck out of the target stands. No shotguns on steel at these shoots period. What's your experience with shotguns? Have you had anymore hit the ground lately?
    Nope. Just the one time I tried to one hand an SBS like a dumbass. It would have been sufficient to say shotguns tear up your stands though. The rest was kind of a low blow but I suppose I have to expect some ridicule after the incident you're referring to.

(Allegheny County)

Although the county is in the "green phase", I sought clarification to ease those worried minds.

While the club website states (in it's "covid" message) that the club is "unable to host events", I'm informed that the website has not been updated to reflect the changes.

The shoot is a go.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    The shoot is a go.
    See you all soon!

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast