Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scotia

(Chester County)

Default Re: Scotia

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    There are 2 ways to get to Scotia, one is from the Grays Woods side (I-99/322), the other from the Gatesburg/Fairbrook side (Whitehall Road). There is a gate on the road, just past the Admin building (locked last time I was there) to prevent through traffic.

From the Grays Woods side you first hit the Auxiliary range, small, handguns on the right side, rifles on the left, bring your own targets but not junk (TV's, monitors, laptops, glass bottles, tin cans, etc.) Using this range you still have to have either a current hunting license or the permit that you can get on line. There is a fence separating the Aux range from the main range, if the gate is open you can get to the other ranges.

From the Gatesburg side, you come up on the main range (on left). If the gate to the left, going to the admin bldg and range, is open you can go to the parking lot in front the the rifle range (200 yds marked in 25, 50, 100, 200 yds IIRC). The shed at the firing line has targets or you can take your own paper targets (I do at times and no one said anything to me). You can then walk over to the pistol range. There is another range there that is for LEO's and WCO's but I think groups can use it with prior approval.

When you get there, stop by the admin buildings, there's a lot of stuff there that is free for the taking. Targets, PGC info, maps etc. and if you have any questions the range person/people can answer your questions.

If the gate leading to the admin bldg, rifle range is closed, it could be that some group has reserved the range (this can be done). Then you are left with going to the Aux range. If that is the case, normally the gate allowing you to get to the Aux range is open. If not, you can ask them to open it, let you through and then they will relock it and you will leave by going to Gray's Woods.
    Thanks, very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    There are 2 ways to get to Scotia, one is from the Grays Woods side (I-99/322), the other from the Gatesburg/Fairbrook side (Whitehall Road). There is a gate on the road, just past the Admin building (locked last time I was there) to prevent through traffic.

From the Grays Woods side you first hit the Auxiliary range, small, handguns on the right side, rifles on the left, bring your own targets but not junk (TV's, monitors, laptops, glass bottles, tin cans, etc.) Using this range you still have to have either a current hunting license or the permit that you can get on line. There is a fence separating the Aux range from the main range, if the gate is open you can get to the other ranges.

From the Gatesburg side, you come up on the main range (on left). If the gate to the left, going to the admin bldg and range, is open you can go to the parking lot in front the the rifle range (200 yds marked in 25, 50, 100, 200 yds IIRC). The shed at the firing line has targets or you can take your own paper targets (I do at times and no one said anything to me). You can then walk over to the pistol range. There is another range there that is for LEO's and WCO's but I think groups can use it with prior approval.

When you get there, stop by the admin buildings, there's a lot of stuff there that is free for the taking. Targets, PGC info, maps etc. and if you have any questions the range person/people can answer your questions.

If the gate leading to the admin bldg, rifle range is closed, it could be that some group has reserved the range (this can be done). Then you are left with going to the Aux range. If that is the case, normally the gate allowing you to get to the Aux range is open. If not, you can ask them to open it, let you through and then they will relock it and you will leave by going to Gray's Woods.
    I am the only one that finds the whole gate, 2 entrance, thing to be really frustrating. I get that they're trying to limit thru traffic, but why split the range in two? It's so confusing that the gates are open during hunting season, but closed many other times. The Grays Woods side is like totally gated off in late winter/early spring. Is there really that much thru traffic? Between hunters, shooters, mountain bikers, hikers, horseback riders, casual walkers, those roads are already getting a lot of use. Sorry I'm ranting, but can't they just leave the gates open, or at least pick 1 side or the other of the range road to close?

I believe that if they leave the gate open all the time, it becomes a public road. By limiting access, for lack of a better term, it*s a driveway that the PAGC owns, like your driveway at the house.
    Do you want the public to take over that road and have cars using as a shortcut all year round or are you willing to put up with some nuisance closings to keep it from becoming a *race track* during hunting season?
    By splitting the range, there is one side that doesn*t shut down so when the road is closed, you may have to drive farther, but the one side is always open.

That*s my uneducated guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12