Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotia

(Centre County)

Default Scotia

Anyone know if Scotia is open yet? I was there at the start of this Covid stuff and there were closed signs everywhere.
    Why carry your weapon when your weapon can carry you?

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Scotia

I doubt it. The Game Commission web site still says this:

State Game Lands Range Closures
    The Pennsylvania Game Commission has closed all shooting ranges, including all rifle, handgun, shotgun, and archery ranges on state game lands, effective immediately, until further notice.
    https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Pages/alerts.aspx

You may want to check back when Centre County partially reopens on this coming Friday, May 8th.

(Centre County)

Ya, I saw that. I was hoping they just hadn't updated their site yet. I would think Scotia would fall under outdoor activities which is now allowed. But who knows tbh.

(Clinton County)

In for updates.
    I love Scotia. Would be even better if I could join some of y'all someday.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Centre County)

Curious about this as well. Went for a drive back there Sunday which the gate was closed but nothing posted at the two outside ranges about it being closed.

Checked the pistol range box and it had cardboard in it for targets. Their wooden range closed sign was off to the side and pointing to the woods. Had a buddy check out there the night before and he said the sign was across the road... so I'm curious if it was actually open or if someone just moved it.

Opening Friday(the 8th) according to PGC, along with ranges in all "yellow" phase counties.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Yep. Even the local TV station mentioned this in their local news today.

(Centre County)

Thanks for the info folks.
    Why carry your weapon when your weapon can carry you?

(Chester County)

Drove by Scotia today, can someone explain a few things? I saw what looked like a short rifle range, another berm with a 25Y and a 50Y rifle range; through the gate, saw the pistol range; the shotgun patterning range and the archery range - i turned around. But it seems like there were another set of ranges past the archery area. Is there a map of the ranges?

What the story on targets? Looking for what*s allowed, bring your own, etc? Thanks - I just don*t see much detail online.

(Centre County)

There are 2 ways to get to Scotia, one is from the Grays Woods side (I-99/322), the other from the Gatesburg/Fairbrook side (Whitehall Road). There is a gate on the road, just past the Admin building (locked last time I was there) to prevent through traffic.

From the Grays Woods side you first hit the Auxiliary range, small, handguns on the right side, rifles on the left, bring your own targets but not junk (TV's, monitors, laptops, glass bottles, tin cans, etc.) Using this range you still have to have either a current hunting license or the permit that you can get on line. There is a fence separating the Aux range from the main range, if the gate is open you can get to the other ranges.

From the Gatesburg side, you come up on the main range (on left). If the gate to the left, going to the admin bldg and range, is open you can go to the parking lot in front the the rifle range (200 yds marked in 25, 50, 100, 200 yds IIRC). The shed at the firing line has targets or you can take your own paper targets (I do at times and no one said anything to me). You can then walk over to the pistol range. There is another range there that is for LEO's and WCO's but I think groups can use it with prior approval.

When you get there, stop by the admin buildings, there's a lot of stuff there that is free for the taking. Targets, PGC info, maps etc. and if you have any questions the range person/people can answer your questions.

If the gate leading to the admin bldg, rifle range is closed, it could be that some group has reserved the range (this can be done). Then you are left with going to the Aux range. If that is the case, normally the gate allowing you to get to the Aux range is open. If not, you can ask them to open it, let you through and then they will relock it and you will leave by going to Gray's Woods.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast