Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Shipping a shotgun (what do I need from ffl?)

Hey guys, I want to preface this with I looked at the sticky and know the legalities.

However I never shipped a gun (usually just sent it from ffl to ffl). I'm going to ship a shotgun from PA to FL via USPS.

That being was wondering what I needed from the receiving FFL. Does an email copy of their ffl work? Do I need to look for anything specific with the FFL license to make sure it's legit/legal/current? Do I need to retain it for a certain period?

Thanks!

(Washington County)

Default Re: Shipping a shotgun (what do I need from ffl?)

When we ship a firearm to another FFL, we request a copy of their FFL be emailed to us. On their FFL is a their FFL number which allows us to verify their FFL and shipping address by using the ATF website:

https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/

If that checks out, we ship. We do not retain copies of FFL's, but we log the transfer in our A&D book.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Blair County)

Quite a few FFL's will not receive firearms from individuals, just other FFL's. Make sure that the receiving FFL gets, at minimum, a readable copy of your PA Drivers Lic. A phone call will help things go smoothly and let you get the receiver's FFL No. No need to actually have a copy, just check that the number is still valid at the site mentioned above.
    Steve

(Centre County)

It all depends on why you are shipping it to FL. If it is because you sold it to someone in FL then yes it needs to go to a FFL. The buyer should provide you with a copy or at least the FFL license number, name, and address so you can check to make sure it is a legit FFL. If you are shipping it because you are going to FL for some reason, you can ship it directly to yourself, in care of wherever you are staying (whomever receives it cannot open the package) and take receipt of it when you get there.

If shipping because of selling it, box it up good, DO NOT put anything on the outside of the box to show it is a firearm, and take it to the PO. I would send it USPS Priority Mail with insurance (at least the amount you sold it for) and send it. The PO DOES NOT need to know what is in the box and there is nothing in their regs that says you have to tell them if they ask. There is nothing you have to give the PO when shipping it, other than the payment for the postage.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

All i do is confirm it is a ffl. Use the ez check, or i will just google the address, look at website, call to confirm, etc. I never keep a copy if i even get one.

Don't forget to include a copy of your drivers license.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    When we ship a firearm to another FFL, we request a copy of their FFL be emailed to us. On their FFL is a their FFL number which allows us to verify their FFL and shipping address by using the ATF website:

https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/

If that checks out, we ship. We do not retain copies of FFL's, but we log the transfer in our A&D book.
    Thanks for the link, got it confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post

If shipping because of selling it, box it up good, DO NOT put anything on the outside of the box to show it is a firearm, and take it to the PO. I would send it USPS Priority Mail with insurance (at least the amount you sold it for) and send it. The PO DOES NOT need to know what is in the box and there is nothing in their regs that says you have to tell them if they ask. There is nothing you have to give the PO when shipping it, other than the payment for the postage.
    I'll probably wind up shipping UPS. USPS has been extremely slow and UPS is about 50 dollars cheaper with the same insurance, signature and delivery time.

(Centre County)

I don't understand that. USPS Priority Mail gets it just about anywhere in the US in 3 days, 4 max and I just sent, to Alabama, a rifle with $1500 insurance and signature required for $52.00. If UPS is cheaper than that I'll switch. USPS Priority Mail gets handled much, much differently that regular mail and packages.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member