Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Cases stick in resizing die

It seems that every time I start to reload .223, i always end up with a case stuck in the resizing die. The groove on the base rips off and then I have no way of pulling it out.
    Of course it always happens at an inopportune time (I do a lot of my reloading in the evening when everyone is in bed) so I can't just grab a hammer and bang on it to get it out. Then I have to use a dremel to cut the case and get the capping pin out of it. While none of this is impossible to do, its a big waste of time. It never happens with 30-30 or 7.62x54R, just .223.

I don't know what I am doing wrong.

I lube the cases, either with Dillon spray lube or Lee lube cut with alchohol, in a spray bottle. I don't think I am using too much lube, though I am not sure how much is too much. Should I be spraying some lube into the die?

Your thoughts are approciated. How do you avoid sticking cases in the die?

PS. I use Lee pacesetter dies, no carbide.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Cases stick in resizing die

That’s a puzzler. I’ve stuck .308, but have always found .223 to be more forgiving.

I’d check the obvious first: the right size die for 223, clean the die thoroughly to remove any potential gunk buildup, and check the setting of the resizing die to be sure it’s not somehow hanging up on the base of the case.

(Clearfield County)

Also try RCBS lube and one of their lube pads. It could be that your particular die is bad

With spray lube, you MUST wait for the lube to dry or you'll stick cases everytime. I only use the paste lube and apply it with fingers as I'm putting cases into the dies..

Finally, double check your shellholder. I believe (Lee?) there were some Mfg that made more general purpose holders for 223 that also worked with 9mm and the
    case lips could pull out.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012758025
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012768051
    Last edited by 85MikeTPI; May 1st, 2020 at 01:42 PM.

(Washington County)

I am a big fan of Hornady one shot spray lube, but only after learning you have to shake the can generously and let it dry for about 10 minutes. I do spray some in the die and I don’t spray as much on the cases as I used to. I toss 2-3 good handfuls of brass in a plastic tub, give them a spray, shake them around, spray again, shake again, then away I go. Back when I used to spray them with more lune I had a few stuck cases but none since I have started doing it this way. I also clean my dies with alcohol and Qtips every 1000 cases or so. If you are tumbling your brass in a media that gets dusty toss in a dryer sheet and a little mineral spirits while tumbling to get the dust off the brass.

Yes , let it dry. I've used Dillon pump spray and Hornady One-Shot aerosol and never had a case stick or rim tear off.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

I dont think I have waited very long between spraying the lube and putting them in the press so perhaps they are not dry enough. I will spray a bunch now and just leave them sit overnight and work the press tomorrow.

My shell holder is actually not a Lee. I had trouble with the original one and bought an RCBS shell holder.

(Lebanon County)

real mink oil paste....end of stuck cases.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    real mink oil paste....end of stuck cases.
    Same with Imperial sizing wax. Wipe your finger in some and lube 4-6 cases with it. This stuff is superslick and it doesn't take much so just a quick pass of your fingers on the case is all you need. The best part is you will never get a lube dent from using too much lube. I bought many bottles of the Lee and Hornady spray lubes in the past but they now sit unused.

(Clarion County)

Don't know the percent of alcohol your using but my best success came from mixing with (99%) iso-heat.
    Found in the auto section of most box stores in a red container.
    Make sure to get just a "suspicion" (from Townsend Whelen) of lube in the case mouth.
    For the last several years I've been using water based "groom and clean" hair cream. Has a high lanolin content and is used like Imperial sizing wax with similar results.
    Wouldn't hurt to pull your die to clean and degrease it. Start fresh.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast