Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Semi

(Chester County)

Default Best Semi

I have shouldered around 15 semis and really can't decide however I have narrowed it down to 3 choices.. Unless someone talks me into shoudering something I didn't check out..

Options are:

Remington Vera-max
    Benelli SBE 1. I can't afford the newest model
    Browning maxxus

I like the way al three feel when shouldered. I never actually shot these but "feel" good fit for me. I am trying to get the best gun for the money. I have about $1,000 to spend. I realize I might need to purchase one used, My main use this will be my sporting clays, duck, small game gun. I already have a designated turkey gun. Any Input?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Best Semi

Versa max is similar to a benelli in operation. Just heavier. It’s a Remington though so it knocks it off my list. Benelli or bust for me

(Chester County)

Nathan- Is it worth saving another month for the newest benelli or go with what I can afford?

(Clinton County)

VEPR-12.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Versa max is similar to a benelli in operation. Just heavier. It’s a Remington though so it knocks it off my list. Benelli or bust for me
    The Versamax is similar to the Benelli M4 (gas operated), not the Benelli SBE series (Inertia operated).

I think it ultimately depends on what you're looking for in a shotgun. Gas vs. inertia. Recoil tolerance, weight tolerance, reliability, etc.

Some people say gas is softer shooting. I tend to agree, but I gave my brother in law my SBEII (he's used to shooting a 20ga 1100) and he thought it was soft recoiling. People say inertia is more reliable, but I met a group of duck hunters that wouldn't stop calling it Jamnelli (I have never had issues personally). With inertia operated guns, you need to be a bit careful of how many accessories you throw onto it, and how you shoulder it. Too many accessories or weak shouldering might cause it to malfunction.

I have an SBEII and like it a lot. Very light gun, shoulders nice with good balance. It has been reliable, but I have only used it for turkey hunting not waterfowl hunting (would love to waterfowl hunt, but need some friends). Things to know are the barrels are very expensive - more than a lot of semi auto shotguns. This is because the upper receiver is integrated into the barrel. The nice thing is that makes it easy to clean. Pop the barrel off by removing the mag tube cap, and you're right into the trigger group. Very simple operating mechanism.

Not too many things changed with the SBE over the years. The II brought Comfortech and Crio barrels (not sure how much of a difference Crio makes). The III bought some ergonomic and loading improvements (though some prefer the II's original Comfortech), and the bolt carrier more reliably goes into battery when not sent home with some force.

If you like inertia shotguns but don't want the Benelli price, you may want to look at Franchi. They use the same operating system, but are a bit pared down in features. Benelli and Franchi are both owned by Beretta. Stoeger too.

If you want a gas gun, consider Beretta as well.

Don’t know what your budget is but look into the Beretta 1301. There are several models depending on what your intended use it and they appear to be one of the, if not the softest shooting Semi auto shotguns out there. The reliability is also supposed to be insane due to the operating system.

The tactical starts out at $930.00.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Don’t know what your budget is but look into the Beretta 1301. There are several models depending on what your intended use it and they appear to be one of the, if not the softest shooting Semi auto shotguns out there. The reliability is also supposed to be insane due to the operating system.

The tactical starts out at $930.00.
    Given what he posted, I think the A300/A350 is a closer fit if he's looking for a Beretta.

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Given what he posted, I think the A300/A350 is a closer fit if he's looking for a Beretta.
    I know the 1301 cones in a competition sporting model as well that offers features geared more towards clay shooting.

I don’t know much about the A300 I will check it out myself.

(Chester County)

Thank you for the help! My budget is around $1,000-$1,300.. I think your right. I need to decide on a gas system or inertia. As of now I have only shot gas as I have a trusty ole 1100. I want something reliable, easy to clean and something that shoulders good for me...

(Chester County)

Go with the gun that fits you the best. Gas or recoil makes little difference if the gun doesn't fit you.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast