Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Bad time to use ammo? Go ahead and shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    Are you actually going to the range as normal right now? Less often but still going? Not shooting at all?

Before everyone starts with "you should have 10,000 rounds of every caliber" nonsense, I don't. I've got about 2000 9mm, about 1000 rounds of 5.56, and probably 400 shotgun shells. Bad timing for all of this shit to happen. I didn't stock up on ammo in the winter because I rarely shoot when the weather sucks and I didn't have money to spend on gun food that I wasn't going to use for a while. The thing that concerns me is that even IF things go back to normal in the next few months, the 3 week shipping times disappear from online retailers, and people stop trying to sell 9mm ammo for .30 or more per round, there's still an election at the end of the year. The panic buying and ammo hoarding will start again (assuming it slows down at some point). And if we end up with a democrat in the white house?

My plan is to buy some airsoft guns to shoot in the yard so I don't go insane, buy ammo as it becomes available, and only plan on using any of it if I have no choice.
    I guess maybe having 10000 rounds of often used calibers isn't really "nonsense" if you have to ask this question. Something to keep in mind, when it's time, they won't come for our guns, they will just let us run out of ammo. They will just make it hard to sell, buy and make ammo, so the guys with 10000 rounds don't have it for this pandemic, they have it because that's the minimum for the rest of their life.
    That said, I try to keep around 4000 rounds of 223/556, 9mm, and most importantly 22lr. The 22 is important because that's training and recreation ammo.
    I buy ammo only when it's on sale, cheap and has free shipping. I haven't been shooting much at all lately because disappointingly, my range stupidly decided to shut itself down for the last month. If it were open I would be shooting the shit out of 22. Notice, 22 is still available and relatively cheap?
    My suggestion would be to invest in 22lr guns if you don't want to, or can't afford to have 10000 rounds of you favorite center fire.
    The Hostler

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post

Something to keep in mind, when it's time, they won't come for our guns, they will just let us run out of ammo.
    QFT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Northampton County)

Live for today

I agree to purchase 22 by the truckload while you still can. Forget about wasting money on airsoft. Even when it was $35 and $40 a brick it was still far cheaper to shoot than anything else.

Just look for good deals and free shipping, or flat rate. It will take a while, but between now and the election save your pennies and pounce when you find a good deal. Steel cased will likely be the first to come down and be plentiful. It's good cheap plinking ammo.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    My range is closed but I'll soon bundle up some newspaper and go out back.
    Keep in in the basement... Avoids nosy neighbors.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    Are you actually going to the range as normal right now? Less often but still going? Not shooting at all?

Before everyone starts with "you should have 10,000 rounds of every caliber" nonsense, I don't. I've got about 2000 9mm, about 1000 rounds of 5.56, and probably 400 shotgun shells. Bad timing for all of this shit to happen. I didn't stock up on ammo in the winter because I rarely shoot when the weather sucks and I didn't have money to spend on gun food that I wasn't going to use for a while. The thing that concerns me is that even IF things go back to normal in the next few months, the 3 week shipping times disappear from online retailers, and people stop trying to sell 9mm ammo for .30 or more per round, there's still an election at the end of the year. The panic buying and ammo hoarding will start again (assuming it slows down at some point). And if we end up with a democrat in the white house?

My plan is to buy some airsoft guns to shoot in the yard so I don't go insane, buy ammo as it becomes available, and only plan on using any of it if I have no choice.

No one on this forum would say nonsense like you only need 10,000 rounds. The common standard is a minimum of a lifetime supply.

This does not account for what you need you need for contingency operations, such as SHTF, EotWaWKI, civil war, gifting to family, arming the neighbors/church, hunting, plinking, IDPA, or three gun.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    No one on this forum would say nonsense like you only need 10,000 rounds. The common standard is a minimum of a lifetime supply.

This does not account for what you need you need for contingency operations, such as SHTF, EotWaWKI, civil war, gifting to family, arming the neighbors/church, hunting, plinking, IDPA, or three gun.
    Oh shit now I really feel inadequate by only having 2k each of 9, 40 and 22.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123