Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Daughter looking at homes in the Pocono area

Compared to NYC, the Poconos are fantastic. That's grading on one hell of a curve.

Most of Eastern PA has gone to shit with the influx of front platers. Ain't nothing like it used to be 30 years ago.

The key is to find an area with the lowest density of Noo Yawkiz and HOAs.

No offense to the liberty minded escapees, you're in the minority. Most people from NY and North Jersey suck. They ruined central Jersey in the 80's, then the plague spread here.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Just make sure the area isn't zoned light industrial or she'll end up with a beautiful house surrounded by 1 million square foot warehouses. They are plaguing the Lehigh Valley lately.
    You should see what a few drums of ANFO can do to those tilt-up concrete structures----------------

(Monroe County)

Pike County has a better track record in re: drugs, home invasions etc. Look at Woodloch, Tink Wig, Masthope, Fawn lake etc.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

(Monroe County)

I showed you that house because somebody wanted me to look at it. 10 minutes to the boat launch 15 min to the turnpike, 15 to Ski Blue. Flat easy yard with not a lot of landscaping, tons of room for a garden. Taxes under 3,900.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    I showed you that house because somebody wanted me to look at it. 10 minutes to the boat launch 15 min to the turnpike, 15 to Ski Blue. Flat easy yard with not a lot of landscaping, tons of room for a garden. Taxes under 3,900.00.
    It's a nice home for sure and it has a decent sized piece of property too. There have been a number of smaller 3bd ranches that have come up on the market in the last 6 months in this area and most were 100% refinished and all were $200k or less at least 1.5 acres and flat which is huge for me, defiantly a smart investment for a young couple or single person. If my kids were older and done with high school then we would have looked at at least 2 of them. I love my property but it's a lot to handle being on a hill with the disability/disease I have now but we are going to stick it out for now.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Compared to NYC, the Poconos are fantastic. That's grading on one hell of a curve.

Most of Eastern PA has gone to shit with the influx of front platers. Ain't nothing like it used to be 30 years ago.

The key is to find an area with the lowest density of Noo Yawkiz and HOAs.

No offense to the liberty minded escapees, you're in the minority. Most people from NY and North Jersey suck. They ruined central Jersey in the 80's, then the plague spread here.
    No offense taken.

When I was looking for the same advice six years ago. I was told Wayne over Pike and no Monroe. I took that advice and think it sound. I was also told to avoid gated communities with HOAs. Also good advice, although some folks like have that structure to their living areas. I do not. We got a huge early influx of NY/NJ when they shut the schools down. Fortunately, my lifestyle is such that I can limit my contact. Needless to say Coronavirus spiked in the Pocono region. There are no great commuting options to NYC, but there are options. The Short Line Bus from Honesdale stops in Hawley and Dingman's Ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Yeah I am pretty sure I do not live in the Ghetto here in the West end.

Like almost everywhere else in the country there are good areas and there are bad areas, I am pretty confident there are plenty of good areas and communities left up here that a young lady could find a safe place to live and be happy for years to come.
    no... but i do live in the ghetto up here on the NE end... you lucky bastards down there still got farms and stuff. we've just got addicts and karens narcing anyone out for lighting a firework thinking it gunfire.

whatever the daughter does, avoid HOA's at all costs. AT ALL COSTS do not get in a liberal township either. i'd also avoid places like dwg and shawnee for fear of burdensome regulatory bodies.

there is a reason certain areas are practically giving homes away. it is the hoa regulatory oversight, the high crime and oppressive taxes.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123