Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Daughter looking at homes in the Pocono area

First thing don't listen to the rumors. The west end is still a decent place ( actually a really nice place). Pleasant Valley is still a decent school. Then if you head west into carbon county taxes are a little less and still decent schools.
    Look for a place on a township road, not private. Look for a place with no HOA or gate. My house here would sell for about 160K on over an acre. My old house from 40 years ago in the lehigh valley recently sold for 200K with a 90' x 119' lot. and taxes twice my current taxes of 2900.00. Both are 1200 sq ft ranchers.

Like Hodgie said the "West End" is a whole different ballgame and still full of rednecks and locals. When it comes to the covid-19 again the west end is less affected than most of Monroe and Carbon County is way low.
    My township is 38 sq miles with 14.5K people and the other west end townships are as or even more rural.
    Last edited by Exbiker; April 30th, 2020 at 08:06 AM.

(Monroe County)

I sort of ride the middle of the Road, I live in Coolbaugh, I have seen neighborhoods where I want to wear full body armor and others where its very nice. I live in a 50/50 area. I keep my property straight and I am friendly to everyone until its not an option. I highly recommend driving through any area that is of interest both during working hours and on weekends to see a complete picture. As an escapee from NYC I see the good and bad of fellow escapees. I have did my best to blend in and just be a good neighbor. This biggest problems I see are folks who can not follow rules of the road, slobs who throw their trash everywhere and wanna be hoodlums that forget that we are a shall issue state. I echo the comment about staying out of any gated community/HOA as they are more problems than help. In particular A Pocono Country Place (APCP). I have visited friends in there and seen many good folks but I also know there are major issues in that community, between the crime and sported the BS that sometimes just doesn't make the paper. Its nick name is Pocono County Prison and its an earned nickname. I have seen times when the area is flooded with fellow escapes and when its full of empty homes when the commenting bug runs its course. Like any place its has its good points and bad, its haters and its defenders and we all just have to see what we will. put up with before buying into the fun.

As a former Pocono refugee you couldn't pay me to live there. Anywhere. There are two types of Pocono homes. Those that are ghetto, and those that will be. It was a quiet place a long, long time ago.

With that out of my system, your daughter may find it suitable because she is accustomed to something far different and likely won't be put off.
    Stay out of Monroe, and Pike. If I had to live there (shoot me) I would live south (not really the Poconos) in North Hampton. Somewhere between Mt Bethel, Bangor area. Basically south of Stroudsburg, and east of rte 209. Stroudsburg is a shit hole BTW.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    If I had to live there (shoot me) I would live south (not really the Poconos) in North Hampton. Somewhere between Mt Bethel, Bangor area. Basically south of Stroudsburg, and east of rte 209. Stroudsburg is a shit hole BTW.
    Wow you have lost touch. Over the last 30 or so years I've been on various boards and commissions. Until recently I've been to almost every supervisors meeting and see the monthly PSP report. Looks pretty good to me and I did most of my growing up in Bucks when it was almost all farms and only PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Wow you have lost touch. Over the last 30 or so years I've been on various boards and commissions. Until recently I've been to almost every supervisors meeting and see the monthly PSP report. Looks pretty good to me and I did most of my growing up in Bucks when it was almost all farms and only PSP.
    So what's your point? Stroudsburg isn't a shit hole?

(Lehigh County)

Lightbulb Re: Daughter looking at homes in the Pocono area

It's a good time to hop in the housing market, but buyer beware: you may not be able to see what the inside of your future home looks like, at least not in person.

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...9-3fa50f587448

Compared to N Y C areas I will take the Poconos any day of the week !

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    So what's your point? Stroudsburg isn't a shit hole?
    I haven't been anyplace in the country that didn't have pockets of areas I wouldn't live for various reasons. To paint an area with a broad brush I find insulting in general.

PS last dozen years there was a mas exodus of NJ and NY people to the tune of school enrollment and populations dropping drastically. Park and rides in the west end have been near empty the last couple years.I don't see any insurgence like in the late 80's early 90's happening again since taxes and housing isn't the bargain it was then.

You didn't really address mikelets456's question except to bitch about an area you don't care for. The West End and Eastern Carbon are perfect for the situation he described. The both allow her easy access to the Northeast extension for Philly and an easy ride to NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    I haven't been anyplace in the country that didn't have pockets of areas I wouldn't live for various reasons. To paint an area with a broad brush I find insulting in general.

PS last dozen years there was a mas exodus of NJ and NY people to the tune of school enrollment and populations dropping drastically. Park and rides in the west end have been near empty the last couple years.I don't see any insurgence like in the late 80's early 90's happening again since taxes and housing isn't the bargain it was then.

You didn't really address mikelets456's question except to bitch about an area you don't care for. The West End and Eastern Carbon are perfect for the situation he described. The both allow her easy access to the Northeast extension for Philly and an easy ride to NYC.
    Actually I did address it, and stated where I would live if I had to live in the area. Just because you can find pockets of quiet living still means you need to leave and deal with the crazy weekend traffic and NY attitudes everywhere. I still have friends and family in the area, and they all hate it. You like it....great.

I’m sure everywhere was better 35 years ago when the population was 220 million and $40K a year had you living the good life.

That’s ancient history and everything has changed everywhere unless your living in the Arctic Refuge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast