Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Saving for a 22 rifle for target competition

Quote Originally Posted by Franchi20/28 View Post
    Just a thought, but if you shot in the military I'm surprised you're not looking into NRA high power rifle, which is basically the USMC KD course in a civilian format. AR rifles in 5.56 and once you start talking about the super high tech competition rim fire ammo....the ammo is no more expensive. Especially if you reload. Honestly the rifles are no more expensive either. New Holland Rifle and Pistol Club which is not too far from me hosts matches and they have a range out to 600 yds.

On the other hand, the rimfire stuff is quite often indoors and year round. And there are probably many more ranges available to compete.
    First-- thanks everyone for some great advice.

Second-- mostly the desire to shoot 22 is cost. Just want to keep costs of ammo down if I am going to be shooting a lot.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

I guess it really depends on what discipline you plan to shoot, or more likely, what the clubs near you shoot. I like shooting silhouette. Many different classes. Your pap's squirrel gun all the way up to the same rimfire rifles used by Olympic shooters. As far as pistol goes, you may be able to find a club that is still shooting Bullseye. The indoor, or gallery course, which is shot at 50 feet, is a good pistol competition. I shot for years using Ruger MK pistols that were modified a little. Some old timers had their High Standards and Smith 41s. The guys with real money had Carl Walthers and the like.

https://www.carl-walther.com/product...s/2659077.html

Have fun whatever you choose!!!!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stickler View Post
    I have never shot in competition before. I normally shot in the military, and for fun on the range. But I really enjoy shooting targets and interested in doing competitions.

What is out there for pistol and rifle? Also, what rifles would you recommend and why?

I am only choosing 22LR because the ammo is cheap and I have seen a few videos. I can't find any videos that talk about rifle choice and set up, only the competitions.
    The CZ's are great shooters, and there are lots of aftermarket goodies available for when you get better than the rifle. The Tikka T1X is getting a lot of love from the guys on The Hide. I've shot quite a bit with a CZ, but have not yet played with a Tikka. Aftermarket barrels and such are starting to appear for it. There is a Bravo chassis available and it appears to be popular. Either of these these are the best bang for the buck if you want to try some competition.

If you want to take it farther the Anschutz available from CMP is a good value. Our youth league has a few of these, and when we have a kid who is shooting for Expert, we set one up specifically for her/him. Our everyday rifles are youth CM2's, and they are awesome. We have 50,000+ rounds through some of them and the barrels still look almost new.

If you want to go all the way, look here: https://vudoogunworks.com/ I've only fondled one but did watch the owner shoot the tightest group I've ever seen at 50 meters. After that, the sky's the limit.

Take a look here. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...mfire-section/
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Chester County)

If your thinking about competition with bulk 22s your dead last. Competition rimfire 22 is comparable to 9mm cost fyi.

Also the rifles to compete on a decent level are going to be expensive as well.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Lackawanna County)

You can shoot Steel challenge with a 22 and bulk ammo. That’s the cheapest you can get into competitive shooting. An off the rack 199 10/22 a few mags and a brick of ammo. I don’t particularly find it exciting though

(Luzerne County)

There is a time worn expression about target rifles “Shoot an Anschutz or lose to one.”
    There are other quality target rifles available (Walther, Feinwerkbau, the old Winchester 52, Remington 40X) but Anschutz rules the roost.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Look into the Pittsburgh and suburban rifle league. I know they have a page in Facebook. They have weekly indoor smallbore matches throughout the winter months. We have a similar league out here in south central PA, called the Intercounty Rifle League. Our webpage is Intercounty.org. Might be some basic information that can help you out.

(Lancaster County)

The name has popped up on here several times already, but I'm going to put in another vote for CZ. I own two 452's and they are superb shooters and are of excellent quality. I can highly recommend them. As for .22 pistols, I'd go with a Browning Buckmark or something from the Ruger MK line. I have both a MKIII target and MKII Competition Target and they are amazingly accurate and reliable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12