Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: "Free" encrypted end to end communications over the internet

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    That's why I use TOR Network.

IIRC that's been compromised sometime in the past also, not sure if any recent events.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Delaware County)

Does it make Spinning Rims ???
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    As long as you wifi your mac address is logged. Your tracked. Your phone is hacked by being a phone and they can ai your keystrokes and use your camera and mic. Vpn is an illusion of security.

Cool stuff though. Probably aren't interesting enough for them to go to the trouble and you cut out the advertising.
    You're partially right and partially wrong. While they know that you're inside the store by knowing your MAC address, that is all they know. Once the tunnel is established there isn't anything else that can be tracked as everything inside the tunnel is encrypted. The keys to the tunnel are your own and are created at the time when the PIVPN is configured and when the user account is created. All they'll be able to see is that you connected to an IP on a certain port.

Could someone go through the logs find that happened and block it. Sure, but then you're talking about someone actually caring enough to go through thousands upon thousands of lines of log files just to find that, and I doubt that they care enough to do that. This really isn't about location tracking but more about ensuring that whatever traffic you do generate cannot be intercepted. All any store will know is that you're inside the store using this method, nothing more.

As far as the mention of TOR, I suspected years ago when it first started that it could very easily be infiltrated by government since it's all based upon you connecting to endpoints of dubious origin. Let's say the NSA happens to control the endpoints of the established tunnel you're inside. Then it doesn't matter what happens inside the tunnel because they can use the data from the endpoints to correlate any data coming and going through the tunnel. They know the IP address of the device that established the tunnel and they know the end point. Using those two pieces of information it would be just a matter of having a program that matches inbound request to outbound responses on the tunnel and create and entire log of everything that happened in that session.

Is that happening? No idea, but it's possible.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

I haven't looked into it, but it might be possible to spoof your Wifi MAC on your phone. I like to use DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE

(Lancaster County)

Streaker - the following is the response from my daughter :

"Neat concept! I'm actually already running some of this stuff at home.

Couple of thoughts
    - depending on how you set up your VPN client, you may not need a dedicated app on your phone. Android has some capability to use vpns natively.
    - pihole + unlock can lead to some weird website interactions, since the combo can be overzealous blocking plugins."

From me - Again, I have no clue, and just assume nothing is private.
    Last edited by solrac7; April 23rd, 2020 at 12:37 PM. Reason: clarity
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Wyoming County)

I checked with Rosetta Stone to see if it would help me with understanding the jibbertty dooo in this thread. It told me to shut my pi-hole and leave the thread immediately
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Streaker - the following is the response from my daughter :

"Neat concept! I'm actually already running some of this stuff at home.

Couple of thoughts
    - depending on how you set up your VPN client, you may not need a dedicated app on your phone. Android has some capability to use vpns natively.
    - pihole + unlock can lead to some weird website interactions, since the combo can be overzealous blocking plugins."

From me - Again, I have no clue, and just assume nothing is private.
    Point 1: I wouldn't trust Android's implementation of native VPN, cause Google.
    Point 2: Yes, she is correct on that fact, but for the most part the overzealous blocking is actually at a minimum. I'm currently blocking 1.5M+ domains, and while I have found some false positives, they've been relatively few and easily whitelisted to allow access.

There's also an Add-on for Firefox that allows you to turn off/on Pi-hole blocking on the fly, so if you come across a site that you need to visit one time, you can just turn it off and go to the site and then turn it back on, or let the timer expire.

Just because you believe nothing is private is no reason to not try to make your own stuff private. This is the problem with society today, they've given up. Now we have grocery stores wanting your phone number when you check out so that all your purchases can be tracked and tied directly to you. And all the lemmings bleat "but my points, what will I do without my points if I don't give them my phone number!" Android and probably IOS Apps (I'm just guessing) are getting more and more intrusive with the permissions they require, more are now requiring location access to function, and sadly the majority of the lemmings happily grant it.

(Lancaster County)

A quick google search does indicate that it is possible to change your MAC.

ETA: Pi-hole Example

Pi_hole.JPG

The Blackhole list is updated every night.
    Last edited by streaker69; April 23rd, 2020 at 12:51 PM.

my understanding is also that while you might connect to the router in your home with phone mac:xxxx
    the isp sees router mac:yyy
    and when you wifi in a store your phone mac:xxxx connects to their router and the isp there sees router:xyz
    what i really want to know is can one use a vpn to connect to something through a proxy?
    like you set up your hidester vpn and then from your "remote" location somewhere in europe, you connect to desired website through hidester proxy.
    Last edited by fallenleader; April 23rd, 2020 at 06:09 PM.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    my understanding is also that while you might connect to the router in your home with phone mac:xxxx
    the isp sees router mac:yyy
    and when you wifi in a store your phone mac:xxxx connects to their router and the isp there sees router:xyz
    what i really want to know is can one use a vpn to connect to something through a proxy?
    like you set up your hidester vpn and then from your "remote" location somewhere in europe, you connect to desired website through hidester proxy.
    Any time you're behind a firewall using any of the normal private IP ranges, once you leave the firewall, your MAC address appears at the MAC of the router. The router keeps track of requests via a MAC table. The tracking involved would be on the router, not out on the internet. So the question is, does anyone really think these companies that are setting up free Wifi are taking the time to actually track every device in every location across the country? It would be an awfully expensive program, with very little reward. Can it be done, it surely can, but I doubt that the companies actually care to do so.

I'm not sure I understand the point of going through a proxy when you don't actually know who owns it. Do you honestly believe that all these proxy hosts out there are owned by friendly freedom loving private citizens paying for the service out of their own pocket, or is it more likely they're own by governments? I'm sure some of them are former, but I bet more are the latter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast