Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Advice on Reloading

I have a question. I'm ready to reload 9mm. My Dillon 550 is all set up and ready to go but I have yet to load one and I'm kind of leery that I might have something off. I also think I should have a chrono so I can see what I'm doing. I'm thinking maybe I should just pull that handle a few times and run them through my Hi-Point carbine (hey I bought it for some reason). Any thoughts or encouragement?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have a question. I'm ready to reload 9mm. My Dillon 550 is all set up and ready to go but I have yet to load one and I'm kind of leery that I might have something off. I also think I should have a chrono so I can see what I'm doing. I'm thinking maybe I should just pull that handle a few times and run them through my Hi-Point carbine (hey I bought it for some reason). Any thoughts or encouragement?
    It would help to know what load data you are using, and the bullet and powder you have. We could compare that with our own sources and experience, and at least help you avoid any major errors.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    It would help to know what load data you are using, and the bullet and powder you have. We could compare that with our own sources and experience, and at least help you avoid any major errors.
    I can get that stuff but I'm confident that I have good data. What I question is my own personal handywork like me misunderstanding the OAL and having that off or having the wrong charge in the case because I misinterpreted the data. I have a common WIN/Hodgdon powder (231 or something) and 115 grain FMJ bullets. I measured the OAL and triple checked the powder charge as the press dumped it into the case and it's OK. I guess it's like the first time one jumps out of a perfectly good airplane.

(Bucks County)

I can get that stuff but I'm confident that I have good data. What I question is my own personal handywork like me misunderstanding the OAL and having that off or having the wrong charge in the case because I misinterpreted the data. I have a common WIN/Hodgdon powder (231 or something) and 115 grain FMJ bullets. I measured the OAL and triple checked the powder charge as the press dumped it into the case and it's OK. I guess it's like the first time one jumps out of a perfectly good airplane.
    Yes, that first reloaded round is always a moment of truth. I started with 38 special since it is low pressure and very forgiving.

But if you have good data that is specific to the bullet you are reloading, and you’re not starting at the top of the range, and you’ve measured OAL, and done a plunk test in your barrel, you should be fine.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    Yes, that first reloaded round is always a moment of truth. I started with 38 special since it is low pressure and very forgiving.

But if you have good data that is specific to the bullet you are reloading, and you’re not starting at the top of the range, and you’ve measured OAL, and done a plunk test in your barrel, you should be fine.
    Negative on the plunk test but I will, thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Definitely plunk for any barrels you'll shoot out of. I usually make 1 box of ammo first. Based on load data, it's usually at starting load and increasing in .1 or .2 grains depending on the range of the powder. So I'll have 5 groups of 10 rounds that have been made with different powder measurements. I then shoot these for function and accuracy. 1 box is usually enough to settle on a recipe. The last time I did it I used unique and Xtreme plated 115 grain round nose. They all functioned in lc9s, but had to go with hotter recipe to get function in Glock 26. The one that cycled the Glock was also the most accurate. I have a chrony and it's a great tool but I haven't bothered to put pistol rounds over it.

(Wyoming County)

Come on- Man up, put on some mechanix gloves, ballistic helmet with riot face shield, and drop the mag after you chamber (so you don't ruin a perfectly good mag ) and pull that trigger. To further mitigate any catastrophe turn your head and cough just before you squeeze
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Come on- Man up, put on some mechanix gloves, ballistic helmet with riot face shield, and drop the mag after you chamber (so you don't ruin a perfectly good mag ) and pull that trigger. To further mitigate any catastrophe turn your head and cough just before you squeeze
    Yes Sir!

(Allegheny County)

If your oal is correct, they chamber, and your charge is correct (recomend using min charge for your first loads) you are good to go.
    Nothing else to check.

Personally I trust what I do more than a worker watching a automated reloading machine spitting out ammo.

Or you can talk someone else into being your guinea pig.

I've been reloading about 10 years and I've never run one round through a chrono. In general the load data in recent manuals is conservative. They don't wan't anyone to get hurt. If you start at the mid point between the min and max I don't see why you would ever have an issue with a modern firearm. Even a Hi-point. Biggest things will be loading it hot enough to get the gun to run and making sure the round fits the mag and the chamber. I remember the first round I reloaded myself. I aimed the gun at the berm, turned my head away and pulled the trigger. I didn't want to lose an eye.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast