Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Stripped threads on holographic sight

I would not drill it oversize and use a nut. Do it correctly.

I would go with the HeliCoil inserts. You need to know your original thread size of course. You can buy Heli-coil kits on Amazon with the correct drill, tap, and insertion tool. Maybe cheaper elsewhere. You'

EX: https://www.amazon.com/Heli-Coil-Hel...s%2C162&sr=8-7

If you don't have a way to determine the thread size, you could go to Lowe's or HD and try the screw in their 'thread checkers'.
    Last edited by esh21167; April 18th, 2020 at 09:11 AM.

(Adams County)

Inserts work well in a lot of applications. However, it looks like there isn't enough material around the hole to support drilling to a larger size and using an insert. It's hard to tell from the photo. If there is plenty of material for an insert, that would be first choice. Not enough material, then a longer screw with a nut.

(Bucks County)

I am guessing that the threaded bolt is the type that has a knurled end meant to be drawn into a hole and remain fixed, and that the knurled knob in your fingers is just being held for the photo since it does not line up with the threaded bolt, and that end of the bolt's threads have been stripped away?

I would press or drive the bolt out and either replace it as designed (search "fasteners") or just get a cap screw, star lock washer and nut or nylock nut that would work. Kind of depends on how handy (frequently) you want it to be to remove and reinstall.

If you stripped it by turning the knurled knob with your fingers, remind me to never pick a fight with you.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Sounds like a good time to upgrade your red dot to a better option.

(Centre County)

You could retap the threads and use a larger bolt or screw and grind the middle of the bolt/screw down to mate with the rail correctly.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

I was holding back, trying to be good - waiting for it... and there it is! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Sounds like a good time to upgrade your red dot to a better option.
    Make sure you have back up iron sights.
    I took a chance of two used Sightmarks and one started to shut off after each shot.
    I knew the risk, but the price was so good, I was willing to take the chance.
    I won't buy another one. It sucks, because I love that style of sight so much more than a micro red dot, but there aren't any affordable options.

Have you tried duct tape?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

do you have the ability to figure/find out what thread the cap screw is? you might just be able to rethread to an american thread size or vice versa....if you can tap it use kerosene for cutting oil....
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

(Bucks County)

Got busy with pre-surgery appointments. After the surgery I’ll have 1-3 months minimum to get it fixed.
    The bolt is free, I just left it in place for the picture. Figured it would help. If I put in an extra nut, outside the rail,I’ll have to figure out how to remove the cover. Same for drill and install threadsert.
    From the sounds of it, Sightmark is a cheesy brand anyway. Screw it! Hammer-time!
    I’ll gingerly begin disassembly, and ramp up the violence level until successful!
    Thanks gents!

(York County)

If you are looking for a great sight at a great price. The AT3 RD50 is awesome, can be had with the co-witness riser for $100. I have one on my pistol build and it is a solid piece, 2 moa dot, 11 brightness settings, long battery life (but no auto off feature). Tons of great reviews and torture tests on YT.

https://www.amazon.com/AT3-Tactical-.../dp/B07G64TD7L

Next up if you need brand recognition is the SIG Romeo 5, the other good value hot ticket at around $140.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-...ck-r52001.html

Those are the two micro red dots I was deciding on at the end. Both very good quality.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    If you are looking for a great sight at a great price. The AT3 RD50 is awesome, can be had with the co-witness riser for $100. I have one on my pistol build and it is a solid piece, 2 moa dot, 11 brightness settings, long battery life (but no auto off feature). Tons of great reviews and torture tests on YT.

https://www.amazon.com/AT3-Tactical-.../dp/B07G64TD7L

Next up if you need brand recognition is the SIG Romeo 5, the other good value hot ticket at around $140.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-...ck-r52001.html

Those are the two micro red dots I was deciding on at the end. Both very good quality.
    You can get the Sig here for $99.00 with just the high mount.

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product...-red-dot-black

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast