Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Saiga-12

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Saiga-12

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    How do you like the Lynx-12? Is it identical to the Saiga? Same interchangeability of parts and accessories?

I almost bought a Lynx-12 the other day, wound up getting a Citadel Boss-12 instead.

The Lynx-12 is a Chinese clone of the S-12. My experience with one was brief but worth the $400 for what you can do with it.
    As for the Saiga 12 not cycling certain loads, check your gas ports.. going by memory some rifles came over and not all the gas ports were drilled or opened up fully.
    I have 2 of them 1 worked and cycles everything without me ever needing to change the gas setting, the 2nd one would randomly give me a FTF issue due to insufficient gas regardless of the setting. Once I opened up the ports it cycles reliably no matter what I throw at it.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Saiga-12

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post
    The Lynx-12 is a Chinese clone of the S-12. My experience with one was brief but worth the $400 for what you can do with it.
    As for the Saiga 12 not cycling certain loads, check your gas ports.. going by memory some rifles came over and not all the gas ports were drilled or opened up fully.
    I have 2 of them 1 worked and cycles everything without me ever needing to change the gas setting, the 2nd one would randomly give me a FTF issue due to insufficient gas regardless of the setting. Once I opened up the ports it cycles reliably no matter what I throw at it.
    Overall I'm happy with the Lynx-12. Cycles "low brass" without any real issues. I had some break in time but nothing serious. Probably on par with my first Saiga-12. I haven't done a full side by side parts compatibility between the two of them.

For the Saiga-12 that won't cycle, checking the gas ports is a great place to start. Some of the guns came into the country with 24" barrels that had 2 gas ports. They didn't like to run lighter loads, but they could. There was also a batch of "vodka specials" that had 19" barrels with only two ports. They would run with high brass ( buckshot/slugs) but not with birdshot. The adjustable gas plugs, or different gas pucks can help but getting one of those 19" barrel two port guns really needed to have at least one additional gas port drilled for better reliability.

If you go that route of knocking the gas block off for drilling, make sure you drill "on an angle" instead of straight down. It sounds crazy but the gun will run "cleaner". Straight up and down gas ports tend to blow up more crud into the gas puck area.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345