Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saiga-12

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Saiga-12

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I’m sorry but your analogy makes zero sense in this case. I buy a Honda Civic it still runs and drives within its class, my expectations are affordable commuter car.

I bought a Sagia 12 many years back probably after they were 1st imported for a cool shotgun not a 3 gun tuned race gun, and It never worked period. The aftermarket wasn’t anything like it became and now there are Just better options. If basic function is an over expectation then I guess I expect too much from products I spend my money on.

Since I’m not a fanboy of any particular brand or platform especially shotguns I don’t look at brand new turds and see diamonds, if that’s your thing then it’s cool nothing wrong with it.

My rule on new production firearms is If it’s not reliable out of the box it’s not worth putting a Single dollar into, as far as I’m concerned too many other better options out there regardless of the brand or type of firearm.
    The analogy is perfect because you bought a military shotgun that was designed to shoot high powered loads and you expected it to run everything. It was never designed to run everything, much like the Civic was never designed to be a sports car. If you're telling me you couldn't run high powered loads out of the box then yes, you bought a turd. You could have also had the gas setting wrong or any number of other things. I also wonder how much of it could have been caused by the modifications they had to make to meet the import regulations of sporting purpose. They weren't designed to have trigger groups in a retarded location.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    The analogy is perfect because you bought a military shotgun that was designed to shoot high powered loads and you expected it to run everything. It was never designed to run everything, much like the Civic was never designed to be a sports car. If you're telling me you couldn't run high powered loads out of the box then yes, you bought a turd. You could have also had the gas setting wrong or any number of other things. I also wonder how much of it could have been caused by the modifications they had to make to meet the import regulations of sporting purpose. They weren't designed to have trigger groups in a retarded location.
    Once again I didn’t want it to run everything I wanted it to run something!

Either your being intentionally obtuse or not comprehending anything I’m saying.

It RAN nothing in either setting for more then one or two rounds no different then the video I posted.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Once again I didn’t want it to run everything I wanted it to run something!

Either your being intentionally obtuse or not comprehending anything I’m saying.

It RAN nothing in either setting for more then one or two rounds no different then the video I posted.
    Come on now, how am I being obtuse when you yourself glossed over every aspect of what I wrote. I'm not typing it again but you completely missed the last part of my post.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Okay.

(Monroe County)

I got one last year from a buddy, unconverted, unfired. When I took it out for testing, it wouldn't cycle target loads, regular 2 3/4” loads or 3" correctly. Gas adjustment knob was set to high (only 2 settings). Got this: https://www.carolinashooterssupply.c...plug-saiga.htm

Now it cycles everything from low recoil Target to regular Target and beyond just fine. Stay away from promag magazines, mine needed considerable filing internally to allow shells to freely move up to the chamber. Paid $700 for it.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks all for your input. I am quite the noob when it comes to saiga shotguns. Turns out the previous owner did just put a tapco stock on it. I've done a ton a research on converting them and obviously this in its current configuration is not converted. For now I am going to put the original Sporter stock back on to make it legal. I am debating between converting it, enjoying it the way it is uncoverted, or selling it. Haha.

I do have one question, if I put the above-mentioned gas plug in and keep the rest of the gun untouched will that trigger 922r?

Thanks!

(Blair County)

Well it looks like I'm late to the party. Full disclosure, I'm a fanboy. I own three S-12s, one bone stock, one I heavily chopped and modded and the last one a pro conversion. Plus a Lynx-12 because, well I'm a fanboy...

As for the 922r legality, it could be if has the gas puck replaced. To check that you have to unscrew the gas plug (the #1 and #2 setting thing) then rack the bolt and hopefully the silver puck drops out. IF it doesn't its been fired, probably more than a few times. The US gas pucks are marked, russian ones are not.

I doubt someone took the effort to make a Tapco G2 AK trigger fit into that particular gun. The Tapco G2 AK trigger group will fit with minor modifications. With the trigger in that position only the hammer could be modified to fit.

Personally I don't particularly care for the "conversions" that put the pistol grip behind the receiver. It doesn't look like any permanent damage has been done and the gun still could be "fully converted".

To answer the original question about value, the market isn't what they used to be. With the Lynx-12 being a good clone that can be had for $500-600 there are options for "lower end" of the scale. The " 3-gun" crowd won't spend the money on a gun that isn't "fully converted". Low end $600, high end $900. Depends on how bad someone wants it.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by TDIfan View Post
    I got one last year from a buddy, unconverted, unfired. When I took it out for testing, it wouldn't cycle target loads, regular 2 3/4” loads or 3" correctly. Gas adjustment knob was set to high (only 2 settings). Got this: https://www.carolinashooterssupply.c...plug-saiga.htm

Now it cycles everything from low recoil Target to regular Target and beyond just fine. Stay away from promag magazines, mine needed considerable filing internally to allow shells to freely move up to the chamber. Paid $700 for it.
    I'm wondering if I leave mine unconverted (I have since put the original sporter stock back on) and change the gas plug will that now kick in 922r and require me to change other parts to US made to keep it legal?

(Blair County)

No the "sporting" configuration is not subject to 922r. That's how they come into the country so you don't have to change parts. Some folks still change the gas plug to increase reliability with cheap birdshot. The plug does not count towards 922r, the gas puck is the "piston" and that counts for 922r.

Debate is still open if 922r applies if you throw a drum magazine (or anything larger than 8 round for that matter) in a "sporter" configuration gun.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    Plus a Lynx-12 because, well I'm a fanboy...
    How do you like the Lynx-12? Is it identical to the Saiga? Same interchangeability of parts and accessories?

I almost bought a Lynx-12 the other day, wound up getting a Citadel Boss-12 instead.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast