Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saiga-12

Default Re: Saiga-12

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of semi-auto shotguns. Find a brand of shells that it likes and stick to it. They're all problematic with certain ammo.
    It wouldn’t cycle anything at all from cheap crap to self defense rounds, it would choke ever 2nd it 3rd round. Unloaded it before the Russian ban, just required too much money and time in order to get okay reliability. I’m not much of a shot gun guy anyway so no loss.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    It wouldn’t cycle anything at all from cheap crap to self defense rounds, it would choke ever 2nd it 3rd round. Unloaded it before the Russian ban, just required too much money and time in order to get okay reliability. I’m not much of a shot gun guy anyway so no loss.
    Did you happen to adjust the gas setting?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Did you happen to adjust the gas setting?
    I was thinking the same thing. Pick one type of ammo and keep opening up that adjustable gas setting one click at a time until it starts running perfectly. Saiga's are finicky on weak ammo, but once you get the right ammo, they run great.

Shameless plug:

Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

If I’m recalling it correctly the factory Saiga has a two position gas setting light and magnum both gave me trash results regardless of the ammo choice.

They are just cool looking problematic turds in my opinion.
    Last edited by Hodgie; April 18th, 2020 at 10:06 AM.

Here’s exactly how mine ran without any upgrades and title is perfect.

(Lackawanna County)

Mine runs ok. Now. It’s been converted and polished and what not though. It just sits in the safe though. I spent more time on the conversion than I did shooting it.

(Clinton County)

I kind of like it that some people can't figure out how to run these things. Keeps the prices low and the availability high. I can run 3 dram loads all day long and I would trust my life to it.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    I kind of like it that some people can't figure out how to run these things. Keeps the prices low and the availability high. I can run 3 dram loads all day long and I would trust my life to it.
    Having been a network engineer for 20 years I’ve figured out much harder things in life including other firearms. I just wasn’t interested in dealing with a newly manufactured firearm that was a POS right out of the box.

No excuses for that in my opinion.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Having been a network engineer for 20 years I’ve figured out much harder things in life including other firearms. I just wasn’t interested in dealing with a newly manufactured firearm that was a POS right out of the box.

No excuses for that in my opinion.
    That's just it. Your expectations were completly misplaced and I explained why in previous posts. It's no different than buying a Honda Civic and being upset that it can't keep up with a Corvette.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    That's just it. Your expectations were completly misplaced and I explained why in previous posts. It's no different than buying a Honda Civic and being upset that it can't keep up with a Corvette.
    I’m sorry but your analogy makes zero sense in this case, but if we are going to use it then so be it. I buy a Honda Civic it still runs and drives within its class and it meets my basic expectation of being a driving functioning car regardless of its lack of corvette power.

I bought a Sagia 12 many years back probably after they were 1st imported for a cool shotgun not a 3 gun tuned race gun, and It never worked period. The aftermarket wasn’t anything like it became and now there are Just better options. If basic function with tons of different ammo types is an over expectation then I guess I expect too much from the products I spend my money on and thankfully the greater majority of them meet my high standards.

Since I’m not a fanboy of any particular brand or platform especially shotguns I don’t look at brand new turds and see diamonds, if that’s your thing then it’s cool nothing wrong with it.

My rule on new production firearms is If it’s not reliable out of the box it’s not worth putting a Single dollar into, as far as I’m concerned too many other better options out there regardless of the brand or type of firearm.
    Last edited by Hodgie; April 18th, 2020 at 11:21 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast