POU: varmint control and economical shooting. Shots under 100 yards 90% of the time. Get wife shooting something that is comfortable (lower noise, recoil, balance).

I recently traded for a Contender rifle barrel in .204 Ruger. This will primarily be for groundhogs in the summer and fur bearers in winter. I have yet to shoot it, but it may not even be what I am looking for as dual use for the wife and I. I also have a bolt gun in a 30 caliber more than capable for deer, and a lever 357. One is too front heavy for my petite wife, the other recoils too much for more than emergency use.

I have been thinking about getting a 32H&R or 30-20 (.308 groove 32-20) in a 12" bull barrel or a 20" tapered one. The 30-20 can be pushed more if it is needed, but the H&R will do most of what I want and be easier to reload due to being a straight wall. I just can't make up my mind between the two. I have also thought about just getting a 357 barrel since I already have everything needed to load for it. I could just load 38Spcl levels for her to shoot.

Of these 3 choices, please elaborate on which you would pick.