Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Default Re: How have you failed to be prepared for COVID-19 crisis

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I like Mazto ball soup, but I have to have a ham & cheese sammich on challalh with it.

I don't judge. I made Scotch Eggs for a Passover Sedar once.

Oh and thanks for mentioning challah. I could fuck up some challah French toast right about now, but I ain't got no challah...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I don't judge. I made Scotch Eggs for a Passover Sedar once.

Oh and thanks for mentioning challah. I could fuck up some challah French toast right about now, but I ain't got no challah...
    My oldest loves it too. I'm gonna teach him how to make a batch maybe later today.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Westmoreland County)

Maybe I missed it but I don't think I seen anyone who posted about stocking up on pet food too.
    Some might disagree, but our dog is almost like a kid to us.
    When all this apocalypse stuff was just starting to get a little bit crazy, as in noticing the store shelves not being restocked on some things, I guess I got a bit paranoid.
    We're almost always prepared for a couple of weeks with food and dry goods.
    But I noticed how dog food was not being restocked as much, at least the brand we buy. Had a full 15 pound bag at home, but I bought 2 more bags at Walmart. Then next time I was shopping I seen it was sold out.
    Went to tractor supply store and got a 30 pound bag. So we still have 45 pounds unopened for a 67 pound dog. And it looks like the store is able to stock it again now.
    My wife feeds a few feral farm cats too, I don't really give a shit about them, they can fend for themselves if they have to. But we are in a rural area and they do really help with the rodent issues we have, especially in the winter.
    So I got a little bit of extra for the little commie moochers too, just to shut up the wife. 😁
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Preparing is not about predicting, but it's about being prepared for an interruption in your daily life. Lots of things can happen to disrupt your life. I'm not one of those that we saw on that NatGeo Preppers show that has a specific thing I'm preparing for. I'm just generally prepared for whatever does happen. It's also a matter of reading about world events, and understanding how they could affect your life.

Wife and I were just talking earlier this evening that she read an article that people are complaining that they can't find yeast right now. I guess all those people that went out and bought 50lbs of flour for the first time realized it's pretty useless without the yeast and are just now finding out that it's sold out. When I was out topping off our supplies before the country when completely insane I picked up another 2lb package of yeast because I knew it was going to be hard to find. I put with the my other 2lb package of yeast which was there to supplement the 1 1/2lbs that I'm currently using from a mason jar.

Many people are pissed off at us "preppers" because they think we're the ones hording everything, when in reality, we're not. Most of us have had our supplies already well stocked and merely topped off or bought things we thought we might need based upon the crisis that was about to happen. If we couldn't have topped off, we would have just made do with what we had. Fortunately, it was very easy to read what was about to happen, and get those extra supplies before the stores got completely swamped by the grasshoppers.
    This.

Am glad I did not need to wait in line even a single time for anything. Had pretty much everything I needed, and that which I didn't I was able to order. I think that should be the goal of everyone.

Unfortunately, I believe in a year people will actually forget about this and go back to their old habits of a just in time inventory system for both food and TP.

People never learn.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Great post, Streaker....

For those who don't have accesss to yeast (I've got four pounds stored in the fridge for the last ten years too). making hardtack is always an option. Of course, there's no comparison to real home-made bread. I was a Civil War reenactor fanatic starting in 6th grade, and always made hardtack before I went on a scouting mission in the backwoods:

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Hardtack
    Okay, I am new to the bread game. Just added a bread machine. What is the best way for long term storage of both flour and yeast?
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin Inhabitant View Post
    Maybe I missed it but I don't think I seen anyone who posted about stocking up on pet food too.
    When all this apocalypse stuff was just starting to get a little bit crazy, as in noticing the store shelves not being restocked on some things, I guess I got a bit paranoid.
    But I noticed how dog food was not being restocked as much, at least the brand we buy. Had a full 15 pound bag at home, but I bought 2 more bags at Walmart. Then next time I was shopping I seen it was sold out.
    Went to tractor supply store and got a 30 pound bag. So we still have 45 pounds unopened for a 67 pound dog. And it looks like the store is able to stock it again now.
    My wife feeds a few feral farm cats too, I don't really give a shit about them, they can fend for themselves if they have to. But we are in a rural area and they do really help with the rodent issues we have, especially in the winter.
    So I got a little bit of extra for the little commie moochers too, just to shut up the wife. 
    We get our dog food from TS. I picked up two 30 lb bags in March when TP, meat, and ammo started getting scarce.

Our monster dog eats too much, if the supply gets scarce and we have to improvise.

I also got two pounds of cig tobacco that I just finished. Ordered some more online because the smoke shops are closed and the beer distributors "aren't allowed " to sell it now.

pet food is a good note.
    i'll have to look at dates on the 16# bag and consumption rates to see being +1 on that is a good call.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS20 View Post
    My wife has been into baking sourdough bread. A friend and very accomplished (and slightly OCD) sourdough bread baker gave my wife a sample of her starter which my wife grew into what fulfills our needs. As long as she keeps feeding it, it will happily continue.
    For those who didn't stock yeast, and who don't have sourdough starter, read this article about making your own sourdough starter without having a prior source:
    https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-mak...e-kitchn-47337

I read this and learned something.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin Inhabitant View Post
    So I got a little bit of extra for the little commie moochers too, just to shut up the wife. ��
    You're absolutely right. I picked up extra food for our cat. We just opened a new bag of hard food so I need to check our stock of it and possibly get an extra bag. Try to keep myself two bags ahead of what he's using. He also gets a smackeral of soft food each day, 1/4 can, so a case from Costco lasts a long time.

(Erie County)

I did nothing to prepare, and that was enough. I haven't run out of anything. I sure miss baseball though. I guess I could have gotten a mask or two, since we now have to wear useless masks.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast