Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: How have you failed to be prepared for COVID-19 crisis

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    We found a thread somewhere that people were posting pictures of their baking failures. One guy said he had yeast but it had "expired" in 2010, so he threw it out and then couldn't get more. I bet that package would have been fine.

(Bucks County)

My wife has been into baking sourdough bread. A friend and very accomplished (and slightly OCD) sourdough bread baker gave my wife a sample of her starter which my wife grew into what fulfills our needs. As long as she keeps feeding it, it will happily continue.

I buy the 2lb packages they're then stored in the fridge. Doesn't matter how long it takes for me to get to them, they're always good. When I open one, I pour it into a mason jar with a regular screw cap and it goes into the fridge. I have never had an instance of it going bad, even if it takes me a couple of years to get to the other packages. Buy the 2lb package of Red Star and do it the way I do. You'll basically won't run out.

We found a thread somewhere that people were posting pictures of their baking failures. One guy said he had yeast but it had "expired" in 2010, so he threw it out and then couldn't get more. I bet that package would have been fine.
    We have an opened 2lb of red star that has been sealed in a jar in the freezer for 10 years easy. Made some bread a few days ago. No issues whatsoever.

(Chester County)

Preparing is not about predicting, but it's about being prepared for an interruption in your daily life. Lots of things can happen to disrupt your life. I'm not one of those that we saw on that NatGeo Preppers show that has a specific thing I'm preparing for. I'm just generally prepared for whatever does happen. It's also a matter of reading about world events, and understanding how they could affect your life.

Wife and I were just talking earlier this evening that she read an article that people are complaining that they can't find yeast right now. I guess all those people that went out and bought 50lbs of flour for the first time realized it's pretty useless without the yeast and are just now finding out that it's sold out. When I was out topping off our supplies before the country when completely insane I picked up another 2lb package of yeast because I knew it was going to be hard to find. I put with the my other 2lb package of yeast which was there to supplement the 1 1/2lbs that I'm currently using from a mason jar.

Many people are pissed off at us "preppers" because they think we're the ones hording everything, when in reality, we're not. Most of us have had our supplies already well stocked and merely topped off or bought things we thought we might need based upon the crisis that was about to happen. If we couldn't have topped off, we would have just made do with what we had. Fortunately, it was very easy to read what was about to happen, and get those extra supplies before the stores got completely swamped by the grasshoppers.
    Great post, Streaker....

For those who don't have accesss to yeast (I've got four pounds stored in the fridge for the last ten years too). making hardtack is always an option. Of course, there's no comparison to real home-made bread. I was a Civil War reenactor fanatic starting in 6th grade, and always made hardtack before I went on a scouting mission in the backwoods:

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Hardtack
    - bamboomaster

(Lancaster County)

What I've always found interesting is the people that think that prepping is something that deserves to be mocked. There's at least one user here that recently showed their disdain for "preppers". Since when it is it wrong to ensure that your family has food and supplies on hand? Quite certain I'd rather be the ant than the grasshopper.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

The ill prepared always blame the prepared for being selfish or hoarders, etc, etc. The hoarders are the posers that fill their carts full of oreo's and spaghetti o's last minute with no regard for others in the store. I'm certain that type of personality wears the latest fad clothing, has a new car every few years, and the largest TV on the block, but can't be bothered to consider the remote possibility that life won't always be convenient. Can't help those that won't help themselves.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post

<<<<<<<<<--------'What Made You Smile Today' thread is that way.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post

Yeah, that's the site.

No yeast? Make matzo. Flour and water (salt, olive oil, egg, optional). Start to finish in less than 18 minutes; that includes mixing the dough. It's how my people have done it for 3000 years.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    No yeast? Make matzo. Flour and water (salt, olive oil, egg, optional). Start to finish in less than 18 minutes; that includes mixing the dough. It's how my people have done it for 3000 years.
    I like Mazto ball soup, but I have to have a ham & cheese sammich on challalh with it.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast