Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: How have you failed to be prepared for COVID-19 crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I wish I had spent time teaching my elderly relatives how to use the iPad for video conferencing.
    Trying to walk Granny through the steps of setting it up is pretty hard to do over the phone.
    Some can. Some can’t. Just a fact. I have some can’t(s). Might as well teach a cat to read.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Delaware County)

Mostly pretty good prep on food and meds. I got caught short on masks. I thought I had some, but it appears that one son walked off with box 6 months ago to do some interior construction on his place; he used them up. Other one was fever thermometer. Coulda sworn we had a couple. Turns out the Mrs. was afraid of the old reliable mercury in glass one and disposed of it. She then cheaped out and bought a crappy electronic one which just doesn't work (or I've been dead for 8 hours and never knew it). I had some disposable ones, but those became outdated and unreliable. Lesson learned - buy reliable stuff and make them inconvenient to find.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

File under 'things to do better' - keep extra yeast onhand.
    https://slate.com/business/2020/04/y...ronavirus.html

I am well stocked on freeze dried food, guns and ammo, medical supplies, water filtration. Where I was lacking was in the N95/N100 masks. I had a pack of 2.

Luckily, the wife (who is a nurse) got freaked out a few years back when they started bring ebola patients to the USA. On her own she ordered a bunch of N95 masks and also N100 masks and some full body Tyvek suits. That is where I fell short. Now she has the supplies if the hospital doesn't.

When this is over I am stocking up on N100 masks and a few Tyvek suits along with perhaps a good gas mask.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Lancaster County)

I was unprepared for the stupidity of our government and much of the populace. Unprepared, but not unsurprised.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Since I was a kid, my motto has always been "What about if......." So I have more than enough of everything.....except Southern Comfort!!! and that's my wife's favorite!!! Go figure.

(Bucks County)

I was, and am, quite unprepared for this. Living in an apartment, we have some food on hand, but I wish I had a decent stock of non-perishables. TP totally took me by surprise. We just happened to buy a 12 pack before it started flying off the shelves, and it has lasted us until it's starting to come back on the shelves. But I wish I had had more of that too. OK on ammo, but wish I had more 9mm. Also wish I had more guns.

One thing I definitely wish I had gotten before all this was gold. I'm worried that hyperinflation is a serious possibility with the crazy stimulus spending and the Fed printing money like it's going out of style.

I am learning a lot from this historical experience.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I bought a used chest freezer 1 month early and laid in a large food supply. Bought meds for the family. Plenty of toilet paper. Was at least 1 week ahead of the curve on hand sanitizer, gloves, and masks. Right before it hit, I was ready and had the time to get my dad and stepmother ready too. The ammo shortage caught me by surprise, but I already had plenty to spart. I'm hard-pressed to think of anything I'd do differently.

Thinking that it was time to sell my corner lot single home in a nice PA Township and move to a brand new apartment complex! Yes, that is a fail. Was starting to drink the kool aid that living in an apartment complex with no exterior or real interior responsibilities was a good thing for the last part of my life. Well.... I really like my home of 21 years now. Never realized how nice it is to to do yard work, grill out and sit on a big deck!
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by pa350z View Post
    Thinking that it was time to sell my corner lot single home in a nice PA Township and move to a brand new apartment complex! Yes, that is a fail. Was starting to drink the kool aid that living in an apartment complex with no exterior or real interior responsibilities was a good thing for the last part of my life. Well.... I really like my home of 21 years now. Never realized how nice it is to to do yard work, grill out and sit on a big deck!
    I grew up in an apartment in NYC. Lived in one in Boston while in college. Moved to the burbs, first in MA and then in PA and never looked back. Of course my kids, thoroughly fed up with the burbs, both live in apartments. Luckily, one lives close by, and the other thought he was being ironic with me when he did some apartment prepping when he moved into one. He's not laughing so much now. I don't care what anyone says about downsizing, I love living in my own house; and I have more room for prep stuff than the "wise folk."
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast