Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: EMP Proof Stashes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    I think there are misconceptions about why this is necessary and what the expected outcome by someone who wants to plan for this are. I titled the thread "EMP" but I also included other electrical hazards that are natural and proven threats from history. I'm no expert on either subject, maybe it's nothing to worry about. Can a high altitude electromagnetic pulse or another Carrington Event be a threat to our technology dependent lives? I don't know. I guess this raises the question of what exactly is worth planning for, what the expectations are on a large scale, what would be valuable to save from that level of threat and how to use it to your advantage to mitigate the consequences of the event.

So, what's really important to save? iPads? I don't think anyone thinks that's a necessary item to protect. Radios? Most definitely. Being able to rebuild a communication network between neighborhoods and communities to help protect life and property is probably the most essential after a total collapse of technology. Being able to maintain this equipment would be next on the list such as power and repair parts. Transportation? "Dumb" vehicles will become a valuable asset because of their simplicity in design not relying on a computer to operate in order to transport people and supplies to and from these neighborhoods and communities. Are there other components that could be stocked up on for vehicles that aren't so "dumb"?

Maybe there is no threat worth worrying about, I'll leave that to the experts. I don't really know. It's a fun thought experiment at the least and a good thing to prepare for anyway but some people may say it's more than that. Having supplies and redundancies in your tech preps along with your other preps isn't really a bad thing is it? So the point of this thread really boils down to what should be the bare minimum that an individual should prepare with in order to be an effective tool for themselves and their community?
    If I understand correctly, and Emp messes with circuitry in electronics and the grid a bit. A CME like cardington messes with power lines and transformers taking down the grid over a larger area. This gives info on both. http://www.thepreparednesspodcast.co...n-emp-and-cme/

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Historically people want gold. Dismissing it out of hand might soothe the mind because of its value in relation to fiat paper but I assure you it will come in more handy than that paper or some computerized data indicating your life time achievement.
    Tomorrow, when the $1,200 stimulus checks start hitting mailboxes, do you think more people will use them to buy Krugerands or KFC?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    I think there are misconceptions about why this is necessary and what the expected outcome by someone who wants to plan for this are. I titled the thread "EMP" but I also included other electrical hazards that are natural and proven threats from history. I'm no expert on either subject, maybe it's nothing to worry about. Can a high altitude electromagnetic pulse or another Carrington Event be a threat to our technology dependent lives? I don't know. I guess this raises the question of what exactly is worth planning for, what the expectations are on a large scale, what would be valuable to save from that level of threat and how to use it to your advantage to mitigate the consequences of the event.

So, what's really important to save? iPads? I don't think anyone thinks that's a necessary item to protect. Radios? Most definitely. Being able to rebuild a communication network between neighborhoods and communities to help protect life and property is probably the most essential after a total collapse of technology. Being able to maintain this equipment would be next on the list such as power and repair parts. Transportation? "Dumb" vehicles will become a valuable asset because of their simplicity in design not relying on a computer to operate in order to transport people and supplies to and from these neighborhoods and communities. Are there other components that could be stocked up on for vehicles that aren't so "dumb"?

Maybe there is no threat worth worrying about, I'll leave that to the experts. I don't really know. It's a fun thought experiment at the least and a good thing to prepare for anyway but some people may say it's more than that. Having supplies and redundancies in your tech preps along with your other preps isn't really a bad thing is it? So the point of this thread really boils down to what should be the bare minimum that an individual should prepare with in order to be an effective tool for themselves and their community?
    Hence my comment about my decision in how I spend my prepping dollars and effort. EMP and wide spread, long term power outages make for good books, but not so much in reality when one digs into it. When weighing where I wanted to focus my efforts, I weighed all the probabilities of all of the things one could "prep" for and this fell off my list, along with extreme economic collapse and TEOTWAWKI. I'm thankful that pandemic bubbled towards the top, with local disasters such as tornadoes, flooding, snow, and the occasional hurricane topping it. As mentioned before, YMMV, folks certainly need to make their own decisions based on their budgets and other means.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Direct deposits will be hitting bank accounts on record (tax refund) this week.

Paper checks delivered via Snail Mail might take a few months!

Oh and AOC & crew is very upset illegals aren't getting any!

''Democrats push for illegal immigrants to get coronavirus stimulus cash''

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...virus-response
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Northampton County)

I wonder if the digital locks on a lot of gun safes these days are protected?

(Erie County)

Mission Darkness is what the feds and a lot of other agencies use:

https://www.teeltech.com/mobile-devi...sion-darkness/

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyTick View Post
    Mission Darkness is what the feds and a lot of other agencies use:

https://www.teeltech.com/mobile-devi...sion-darkness/
    Feds don’t use them for emp proofing. Number of forensics labs use mission darkness for forensic acquisition of mobile devices

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    We use some FAT50 ammo cans for battery storage (camera batteries, flashlight batteries, headlamp batteries, radio batteries, communication batteries, rifle scope batteries, powder scale batteries, etc.) basically every battery reasonably imaginable. Not less than 2 dozen of each size. Also use the much larger and heavier ammo cans for storing wind-up radios, electric components, communication devices, battery powered gizzmos (cattle prod type), lasers, etc. I should probably put the electronic powder scales in there too.

All batteries in storage are replaced with new ones every five years. The latest replacement cycle was two years ago...

Not that we'll need them if there's an EMP, but we do "can" our phones each night in (you guessed it) a bedroom ammo can. Also put an industrial grade baking pan over the laptops after covering the laptops with a heavy sheet of aluminum foil at night - that may be a nothinburger but we're trying.

Haven't used tin foil for a hat yet though...

Yeah, I know all this sounds pretty screwy - until its not.

Hope we never need these supplies but life does get crazy at times in unimaginable ways...
    I apologize for my ignorance, I was reading this thread and a little confused about EMP protection. I was under the impression that like a faraday type device like the bags they sell for car key fobs that are insulated with RF protection was needed. It's as simple has throwing stuff in a metal box? Because if that's the case I can probably get some of this squared away myself with stuff I already own.

(Delaware County)

A simple galvanized garbage can with a lid will do the trick. Just make sure to line the inside of the can with cardboard and a piece on the bottom. No electronics should touch the metal sides of the can. Once the can is loaded, seal the lid with a copper or metallic HVAC duct tape. Put a strip along the seam of the can, the handles on the sides to seal all apertures.place it on a solid concrete floor...basement or garage would be my choice.

One can also make a Faraday cage out of metal window screen material. Its a little more involved but works nonetheless.

If you use one of the job site lock boxes, you should consider grounding it and making sure all openings are sealed.

There is a video which demonstrates the effectiveness of these approaches to sealing up valuable electronics. I couldn't find it...it was a Y boob channel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234