Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default EMP Proof Stashes

Been needing to set up some sort of system with backup electronics stored in an electrically insulated stash box for a while now. If there is a solar storm, EMP or electrical storm of sorts I'm screwed. Thinking about something with a hard drive with valuable data, a device to access and use that data, backup power source with the ability to charge off grid (solar power bank) and a Baofeng radio or similar for simplex comms.

Not sure what I need exactly to protect these types of devices from electrical shorts and damage but figure I need a metal box (large ammo box?), insulation inside the box to prohibit contact with the case, and an earth ground buried 8'. Am I missing something at all?

Anyone else have something like this set up and what do you keep in it for this type of emergency?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: EMP Proof Stashes

Something like this would work well:

Just make sure the lid has an electrical connection to the bottom and that the entire thing is grounded.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Clinton County)

You could store a lot of stuff in one of those job boxes including an entire laptop, power bank, etc. Good idea. Would it be better to also bury something like that?
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Clinton County)

I think another good addition to this type of prep would be to have a kit with an assortment of electrical components like diodes, resistors, capacitors etc for making repairs to other electrical components that may get fried. One of those USB soldering irons and some blank PCB's or breadboards might be useful too.
    μολ ν λαβέ

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    I think another good addition to this type of prep would be to have a kit with an assortment of electrical components like diodes, resistors, capacitors etc for making repairs to other electrical components that may get fried. One of those USB soldering irons and some blank PCB's or breadboards might be useful too.
    I guess I'm good then.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I guess I'm good then.
    No doubt! You could probably build two computers from all the parts littering your healing bench!
    μολ ν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Something like this would work well:

Just make sure the lid has an electrical connection to the bottom and that the entire thing is grounded.

Hmmm my brother gave me that exact type of box about a month ago and I have been trying to figure out what to do with it. I might have to look into this.

(Montgomery County)

Does the metal have to be a certain thickness to type? Would any metal container work?

What does one put in it?

(Bucks County)

I don't think you want to ground a Faraday cage. Under normal situations it is unneeded and for a big EMP any wire (the ground wire) will become electrically charged and the longer the wire the more charge. Any kind of enclosure will do and even covering a box with aluminum foil will stop most of the RF. You can also consider lining a closet with 1mm thick steel for a big emp.

What you put in it is up to you but if an EMP is big enough your computer is not going to be that useful even if it is not damaged. Think more basic electronics and old school stuff without microprocessors. Also if you are worried and want to prep get that classic 70's car you always wanted. All cars made in the last 20 years will be fried.

Look at Wikipedia. They give the basics on how the cages work and a table of materials and thicknesses. Look like 1mm steel will have you covered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Does the metal have to be a certain thickness to type? Would any metal container work?

What does one put in it?
    Not sure about thickness but I'm guessing the thicker the material the higher the current it could potentially pass. Also metals that are most conductive I would imagine are more desired in this application. I listed some idea of things I'd put into one above.

I think another concern would be humidity or condensation as well with a sealed container. Burying the box would help with maintaining a constant temperature and sealing it up semi permanently would be a must. Maybe the addition of some desiccant too.
    μολ ν λαβέ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast